Thursday, April 19, 2018

TBT--travel addition

I have been thinking about NOLA...mostly, due to the fact that three people in the last few weeks have been talking about trips there.  One girl had never been there and I immediately flooded her with places to go--eat, drink and explore.  I suppose I have been thinking about NOLA the entire month of April.
For me, exploring cities involves the food factor.  Here are some of the highlights--starting with oysters at Mariza. This place was highly recommended by a friend of a friend.  She insisted on checking out this spot in the Marigny.  I made reservations for our first night in the city.  The oysters were the highlight and the amaro flight for after dinner drinks.  Recently, I found a fondness for amaro and wanted to share my love of this Italian spirit with my friends.  They range in smoothness to bitter which I am not a huge fan of.  Regardless, Mariza had an industrial feel and was very welcoming.  And the best oysters we found while dining in NOLA.


Of course, no trip to New Orleans is complete without a coffee at Café Du Monde.  Iconic and always busy. We walked from our rental in the Bywater and arrived ready for some coffee and beignets.  We waited in line for 15 minutes and listened to the saxophone player that has been playing that spot for years.  He now offers cd's in addition to listening to the music.  Every trip to the city (five times for me) and I have purchased at least one beignet.  Since the Goddess had not yet arrived I knew that we would be venturing back to this must do so that she would also experience the beignets.



In an effort to be healthy, we rented bikes and rode through the central business district and Magazine St.  The place we selected was referred to us by local residents.  However, I think I would have put more thought into selecting a bike in the future.  We were greeted and paid and that was about it.  They didn't offer to help us select bikes, make sure there was air in the tires of give us any tools that would help us.  In their defense, there was a protest about to happen and people were on edge.  Regardless, we pumped up the tires and rode away.  It was a nice ride and I knew that eventually, I wanted to make a stop at the Bull Dog.  We parked the bikes and had a few beers before heading back to the Bywater.  Almost immediately one of the bikes lost brakes.  We would stop and Shari would be at risk of crashing.  She kept trying to fix the screw on the chain and finally we called the bike shop to have them come and get us since it was becoming more and more frequent and dangerous.  They refused to grab us due to the pending protest and possible riot.  They told us to get back on our own.  That was unimpressive!  We rode back to the shop and dropped off one of the bikes and explained why we were unhappy with them--no customer service, fitting of bikes, etc. and they told us they would handle it tomorrow.  I would still definitely recommend exploring the city on bike.  Just check out your options!





I watch Top Chef--always have.  I knew that one of the finalists had a restaurant in New Orleans and made reservations to dine there.  Compere Lapin did not disappoint.  Amazing!   I am very thankful to have found this spot and dined here.  Innovative drinks, wine list and incredible food.  And, we saw a wedding party arrive at the hotel where the restaurant is located and watched a Second Line descend.  It was awesome!  The Goddess chose to join the celebration by dancing on our table.  The owner came by and insisted on meeting our group since we were having fun and celebrating life.  I had a fantastic piece of carrot cake here, too.  My favorite dessert!

 We found this spot by perusing open table and looking for brunch spots.  I knew there would be five of us and so I made reservations instead of waiting in the humidity as we had the previous day.  I won't mention what spot that was.  It was forgettable.  Sylvain's was lovely.  We arrived right as they opened and insisted on a round of cocktails and bubbly.  Our server, although hungover, was knowledgeable and attentive.  I think he warmed up to us as we continued to drink bubbly.  We shared a few brunch items before heading back towards the Bywater to meet Tiffany.  She flew in to meet us for 36 hours.  Crazy lady and too much fun! I had made the main event (birthday dinner) reservations at Commander's Palace.  Festive with all of the pomp and circumstance.  I loved every minute of it!

There are so many restaurants, neighborhoods and music to check out while in N.O.L.A.  We did a little in the Quarter, Magazine St, Marigny and Bywater.  I would love to return to discover Vietnamese food in the city.  I have heard many amazing things about it.  Or more music and restaurant recon in the Bywater.  We found Bacchanal and Henry's.  There were others that I would have loved to explore.  Seriously, there are too many options and my liver hated me for about a week after my return.  Let's just say spending five days in New Orleans is similar to three nights in Vegas.  Both are geared to be unlimited hedonism and excessive.  I outperformed myself, lol.
Til next time, enjoy!  I do love revisiting beautiful cities that I have visited in the past.  Maybe next week it will be International.
Cheers!

No comments: