Wednesday, April 18, 2018

some plateaus and upside down

I went upside down.  A few times this morning.  I forced myself to go to a class that I frequent on a regular basis.  I adore John but find, sometimes, that I get bored.  I know his routine and my mind wanders if I attend his class a bunch.  He teaches on Mondays and Wednesdays and I have in the past attended both days.  Recently, though, I feel it is too comfortable and typical.  I have semi-broke up him, lol.  Today, started off with the typical sequence and I found myself losing interest.  Maybe he sensed it.  For whatever reason, suddenly he is teaching dolphin and instructs us to use the wall.  He gave us a few minutes to play and I loved it.  I did handstand, dolphin and multiple crows.  Loved it!
Yesterday, I went to another studio to check out one of their popular instructors.  I purchased a class package with twenty available classes with no expiration date.  There is one instructor that I enjoy and have been attending her class regularly.  Yet, I am finding that I am plateauing, a little, with her and so I wanted to expand my circle of classes that I can attend regularly.  I was familiar with the female instructor's class that I chose to check out.  I really wanted to see what was out there and what she was doing.  In the past, I went to one class and felt that she held some awkward postures too long and that she gave great hands on adjustments.  It had been a challenging vinyasa class with some inversions.
That was my expectation.  I thought it would be astanga based with inversions thrown in at the end.  Imagine my surprise when we meditate the first ten minutes of class.  Then, we hold poses that are typically designed to be performed towards the end of the class.  I almost always have tight hips and so forcing myself into a supine bound angle posture is not ideal to begin with.  Eventually, she got around to introducing a few sun A and sun B's.  I had my phone--I know, bad Harmony--but I was curious as to what point in the class she was introducing these with about 18 minutes left in the class.  I struggled to finish the class.  It just wasn't my jam.  I left feeling incomplete and knowing that I do not need to attend another one of her classes.  She isn't my style.  She thinks her class is challenging.  Ironically, there were people that were having difficulty breathing.  The woman next to me actually started eating a protein bar midway through the class.  I didn't really know what to think of that, haha.
I left and considered taking an evening class.  A studio near to me had a class at 5:30.  Again, with a renowned instructor that I have attended her class.  I thought about it and then reconsidered.  I re-read her profile which highlighted her breath work.  I knew that her class would be centered on breathing and it wasn't what I was looking for last night.  I stayed home and focused on eating clean.  Finally, I consumed a meal that was vegetable driven and healthy.
I am thankful for going upside down and it sort of reinvigorated me.  We did a bridge and wheel and I thought about the last time I have taken an astanga class or mysore. I would benefit, greatly, from incorporating that back into my personal practice.  I think of how I can inspire my students to try inversions, and believe, it all begins with foundations.  Building a strong core and having the faith to do more.
I am off to work and greet the day. The early morning class inspires me to be the best version of myself.  What are you inspired by today?

No comments: