Friday, November 13, 2009

This is why servers can be confused and annoyed....

Last night, I was working a random floor shift. My section was not spectacular since the weather was turning south. Our outdoor covered patio lacks and so most customers prefer dining in the main room, near the fire place.
My night begins with two tables, inside, and one table on the patio. The two inside tables will be transfered to their rightful server.
Plus, I could tell they were annoying by some of their requests---I want a strong margarita.
My response--we aren't a mexican restaurant and so we do not rely solely on the sweet and sour mix.
He agrees to the margarita and still insists that it isn't strong enough. I know this guy is full of it, but have the bartender add an additional shot of well tequila to appease him. We make strong drinks, typically, and I told him that he should order a double in the future.
Another table...three men and one woman sit down...immediately, it's we're having separate checks.
My response--I will discuss it with your server when he arrives, but typically, we do not do separate checks.
Well, we have expense reports. And, what do you mean you don't have prime rib until 6 pm? Can't we get it, right now, at 4:40? No, again, it is available at 6 pm.
My favorite and it was my table, this time. Six people sit down, at different times and seem normal. They order a few appetizers and sip a drink each. Finally, a girl shows up and orders a glass of pinot noir. She seemed to have some command, but I should have been hesitant.
She wanted to order and so I approached her. Here is how it played out--
Her--I would like a salmon caesar salad.
Me--Would you like a large or small caesar salad?
Her--I don't know. How big is the small one?
Me--well, it is (I gesture the size) and continue with, the amount of salmon is the same regardless of if you order the large or small caesar.
Her--I will take the small caesar salad.

15 minutes later her salmon caesar is delivered. She motions to me. I walk over.
Her--I didn't order this. I wanted a house salad.
Me--Oh, so no salmon caesar....just the house salad.
Her--Yes.
Me--well, which dressing did you want?
Her--Oh, what do you have?

Really, you wanted a house salad but you don't know what dressing you ordered? But, I comply, play along, get the salad and return with the house salad, sans salmon.

Wait, I wanted a salmon....wtf?

I rush back to the kitchen and of course, they has tossed the product. They make a new salmon and I present the new salmon house salad to her.
I was annoyed because I know what she ordered. Perhaps, she didn't, but I know what she said.
All in all, surprisingly, they did tip me. They weren't rude about it, and of course, I kept my tongue in check. To the other servers I was honest about how dumb this girl was, but I did not make it an issue to the table. I do not enjoy being belittled and this was definitely a situation where I was ready to unload my frustration on the table.
The night continued with one of my friends hanging out and a few other people that were easy. It was simple and I was home by 9. I cannot complain, too much more. I just wanted to illustrate how diners can be and why servers get annoyed. I am not a mind reader. I can anticipate your needs and I enjoy that, but if you say, verbatim, I want a salmon caesar, that is what I am going to order you, not the house salad.
Another day in the restaurant industry. Sometimes, I want to scream--CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY, or at least, take me to South Africa and pay me, too!!!

No comments: