Wednesday, November 25, 2009

my personal challenge the world wednesday....

Last week, Reduce Footprints posted a challenge regarding trash and the amount of trash we personally waste. They recommended not throwing your trash out for a week, look through it, really consider what is trash and what can be reused or recycled.
Personally, I didn't post about it, but I thought about it.
At work, I collected empty bottles of champagne, vodka and wine and took two cases to be recycled. The brunch shift is all about bloody mary's, screw drivers and mimosas. We almost always go through a case of vodka.
I dropped off my moving boxes, too. I felt that I should be doing my part. Not only saying it, but actively participating, too.
I went to my neighborhood laundry mat and read two magazines while I waited for my clothes to dry. I read an article on Guy Ritchie, the new chefs in Portland, OR, the top restaurants to check out in the States and an article about a family in New York that went without modern convenience for a year. He wrote a book--No Impact Man, and there is a movie coming out as well. He was determined to live simply, without overtaxing the environment. They stopped eating out to lessen the take-out box, shopped at farmer's markets instead of grocery shopping to cut out the use of plastic bags, shopped more frequently and used what they needed as opposed to wasting what they had overshopped. Apparently in the interview, he met the journalist with a mason jar full of coffee instead of the standard to-go cup.
I am not that able to reprioritize my life at this point. Or, realistically, I do not want to cut all convenience out of my life. However, I am interested in small changes that leads to more awareness and lessoning my overall "footprint". For example, I am determined to use my take-out coffee mug instead of purchasing a new throwaway cup each time I purchase coffee. I would like to use all of my hot tea and then invest in loose leaf tea for future use. I have a handy dandy strainer that is specifically used for that purpose. I do recycle most of my trash and rarely fill a bag more than once every two weeks.
I walk everywhere.
There are always ways to improve things.
Enjoy your day even if it is filled with grocery shopping, stress or road rage. Me, I will be walking to the store to purchase wine for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I continue to be thankful for my convenient location.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Great post, Harmony. I agree we can all do things differently. Just making one small, permanent change at a time makes a difference. I now have an Enviro-Sax rolled up in my purse which makes for never having to be given a plastic shopping bag. We take cloth bags to the grocery, and I don't do bottled water. Most cardboard items can be recycled, and make sure to buy products that contain recycled materials. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for caring about our planet.

Unknown said...

I love this post because, to me, walking gentler on the earth is all about the little things we do each day ... the reusable coffee mug instead of a daily disposable one and paying attention to packaging with the goal of reducing waste. It's those lifestyle changes that will help the earth ... and ourselves!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving followed by 364 days of joy and happiness!

Small Footprints

B.o.B. said...

Ugh, we are the worst at my house. I live in an apt and must take my recyclables elsewhere. I know it's worth it but it is such a pain.

Excellent idea and post.

Happy Thanksgiving!