Sunday, January 17, 2010

Challenge of the week---Change the World Wednesdays...

Imagine. A world free of pesticides, toxins that cause cancer, leukemia, etc., foods that are substandard, but mass-produced to meet demand.
Imagine--taking care of yourself...making you a priority.
I believe that is a goal of mine in 2010.
You do car maintenance. I know that I do. Faithfully, I get my oil changed. I might fudge a month of the cycle, but realistically, my 21 year old car is in excellent shape. I spend extra money to ensure that my car will work.
Why don't we maintain our temples better? Why aren't we concerned with what we eat. People still drink soda, eat McDonald's, high corn fructose syrup, etc. We wonder why we are obese as a nation.
I think most people eat based on convenience. We are so busy in our lives that we settle for fast food, food loaded with hydrogenated oils and bad fats because it is easier.
It takes time to prepare a nutritious meal. First, there is going to the grocery store, after work--when everyone else is shopping, no parking can be an issue. You get home, prep the meal, cook it and at this point, you have wasted 2 hours, on a minimum, and than you go to bed or attempt to make time for you. Isn't it easier to order take-out or pop in a meal that is preservative ridden?
I work in a restaurant. I eat there, everyday, that I work. It's easier for me. Although, I am able to pick and choose what I would like to eat. I have options. I choose to not drink soda. I opt to avoid fast food unless i am severely hungover and in Texas. Yes, I ate Jack in the Box while in Dallas, years ago. I thought I would die and was unable to meet with Brian's family, in my current state of mind. So, yes I have eaten fast food, once or twice in my life. But, afterwards, I feel like crap.
I know that it is a toxic invasion to my system.
I have felt how different foods feel to my system. You have experienced a hangover? I believe there are food hangovers, too. I cleansed, for a month, last year--no alcohol or cheese. I wanted to limit my caffeine in-take, but seriously, I cut out booze, I needed some vice to cling, too. Anyways, when I began eating cheese again, I felt like I had drank 2 bottles of wine, on an empty stomach, the following morning. It might be different for everyone, but it made me question the decisions I made regarding my diet.
This week's challenge (last Wednesday's) is to look at food labels prior to eating the contents. If you are unable to pronounce or identify what you are about to ingest, don't. Cut out the high corn fructose syrups, hydrogenated fats and white flours for a week. I live on tortillas, so this will be challenging, but think about it and reflect on how you feel after the week free of crap that you don't need. I know it is easier to drink that soda over water, or pick up the ready made meal, but give it a go.
Enjoy and Good Luck! Small changes lead to beautifying ourselves and our environment. We all share the space. Think of what you can do to make it better!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fabulous post! It's really true that once we rid ourselves of all the destructive ingredients, we feel so much better ... as though we are somehow purer than before ... somehow lighter and better able to think. I don't think it's a coincidence ... I think all those toxic ingredients have a profound affect on our health.

Thanks for joining this week's challenge ... and writing about it. And here's wishing you all the best in your journey towards "making you a priority"!

Small Footprints

harmony said...

Thank you for the kinds words, here, and on your alumni posting of this week's challenge.
I, do believe, that food has a direct impact on how we feel. Eating fast food or pesticide ridden food makes me feel heavy, like I am a sloth.
I look forward to participating in this week's challenge as well.

rewinn said...

What a great idea is thinking of maintaining our diet just as we maintain our car!

I totally understand about the "food hangover". My wife & I get mood changes based on what we eat. It might have something to do with strange carbs or who-knows-what is in the "food". Unfortunately the grumpy feeling we get when we eat too much garbage too often gives us the impulse to have some more garbage because I'm too tired to put any effort into cooking. What a crazy cycle!

In contrast, when we go to the Farmer's Market (...which is a pleasure in itself, practically a cheap date!) and then cook up what we find there, we alway have a feeling of wellbeing. I just have to keep in mind how happy I feel when I have a cup of berries, as opposed to a twinkie!

I just have to figure out how to integrate into our lifestyle the consistent accumulation of healthy food instead of convenient food.