Thursday, May 27, 2010

Happy Birthday, Melody....my musical "sister"

Because of my name, I sometimes get the random--"Do you have a sister named, Melody?"
Or, some other lame attempt to make light of my name.
In an earlier post, I mentioned, the two situations on the same night, where my name was questioned. Annoyed, I wrote about it.
Still, I get more comments about my supposed sister, named Melody, than any other insight regarding my name. Remember, one guy, thought that Harmony was the one you could eat. Immediately, I corrected the hominy reference. Verbatim, I told him that I was not named after corn. And, no, in no way did I find any humor in him suggesting that.
When I met Melody, in Santa Fe, she was my massage therapist. I had arranged for a massage at the hotel that I was staying at. For some reason, I was upgraded to a hot tub session since my massage was going to get bumped to a later time. I met her, Melody, but wasn't paying attention to her name. I was in post hot tub bliss--super relaxed and wanting to fully enjoy massage. She asked me my name.
I mumbled, "Harmony....you know...like music?"
Her response--"I get that, too, sometimes."
Since I hadn't listened to her name, it seemed nonsensical that she, too, would get the same musical implication. Still blissful, I didn't comment on it. I didn't even question that reference.
An hour and a half later, I emerged from the massage. I thanked my therapist for the lovely experience and finally, inquired about her name.
She goes--Melody.
I heard it. I understood the music reference.
I told her it was a pleasure to meet her, asked for her card, and made my way back to the hotel.
Months later, I returned to Santa Fe with Sara Jo. Intent on receiving another massage, I called Melody and arranged a massage. From this point, we have always been friends. Each time I visit the city, I manage to dine with Melody.
Today, I want to wish her a happy birthday. I wish that I was with her to celebrate, but know that we will do that in Denver. She will be doing a continuing education workship in June. Celebrate than. Toast her now.
It is fun to introduce her to others, and myself, in Santa Fe. Of course, people question the coincidence of our friendship based solely on our names. Now, I can say that I have a sister named Melody.....

No comments: