Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dinner with friends

My prep work commenced and soon Lindsay arrived bearing two additional bottles of Italian wine. The wine we brought back from Sonoma was of Italian varietals--a primitivo and aglianico. We found them at VJB Winery and were extremely happy with the find.
I had prepared bruschetta, diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and balsamic vinegar. We had three different cheeses to consume, strawberries, roasted red peppers and a white bean hummos dip. Oh, and sausage for Lindsay. I knew she would be thrilled with that addition.
I opened the Primitivo and it was delightful--exactly the way I remembered it. We toasted our trip, future trips and friendship. I only regret that Sipper was unable to join in the night. Another time. I believe that Megan will be in Denver, in March, and so we should try to meet for wine then, too.
I opened the Aglianico and knew that it was tainted. I retrieved a new glass to sample the current wine. Lindsay tried it and said that it tasted bubbly. Sara tried it and said that it tasted a little off, but it wasn't bad.
I tried it and knew that it wasn't corked, but it was off, chemically, like cooked. I was bummed since it definitely was not the wine that we sampled at VJB. Rainbow Brite strikes again. That is what I call a wine when it tastes like this.
Lindsay brought two bottles of wine. One was great and the other was corked. So, two of the four bottles were exceptional and the other two were mediocre. Yet, we enjoyed the night anyways.
I love hosting get togethers. I wish that I would do it more often. The cleaning is not even a factor. I thoroughly enjoy the conversations that occur amongst my friends. Maybe I should look into that as a career path....

No comments: