Saturday, November 27, 2010

Meeting Redhead Runner and Spike




I wish that I had wanted to be more ambitious on Thanksgiving. I could have signed up for a 5k or a 4 mile race since both of these options were available. The Turkey Trot in Wash Park is 4 miles but I have heard mixed reviews of that race. Too many people, too many strollers to maneuver and not enough schwag at the end of the race. Plus, parking around this park is always problematic.
There was also a Turkey Trot in Highlands Ranch. Morgan of Caution Redhead Running has family in Parker and so I knew that she would be in the area for part of the holiday weekend. Last year we met for coffee and b.s.'s our way through life. She offered to meet me for a run, but I was lazy and wanted the chance to meet her and drink coffee.
This year, I was lazy, again, but I did try to spectate her race. Of course, I didn't know where, in Highlands Ranch, the event was. Typically, I do not head that direction unless I am driving to Santa Fe or maybe Manitou Springs. Rarely, do I make it that far south just because.
We arrived and the event was pretty much done. There were walkers and some runners crossing the line, but I knew that Morgan had finished the race.
We walked through the expo line and eventually found her with her boyfriend, Spike. I introduced her to the Barefoot Runner and we caught up briefly. It was frigid cold. I was wearing capri running pants and my exposed calves were feeling the frostbite.
I wish there had been more time to talk, but due to the cold and the fact that it was Thanksgiving, she was pressed for time and family obligation. There is always next year, I suppose. Maybe I will finally run with her 2011......

No comments: