Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mid-afternoon break from wine

We had asked Rony where we could enjoy a snack. He suggested a gourmet shop near St. Francis. Normally, I prefer gourmet shops while wine tasting.
Ironically, we countered with wanting to go Russian River Brewery since I had met the brewer at the Great American Beer Festival. And, I like to take breaks between wine tastings with beer. Plus, Sara wanted to check it out. She mentioned that since we were so close to it, we should attempt to go.
Rony said--Oh, I love that place! Really? You are going there? I could meet you--Too funny.
We drove into Santa Rosa. Russian River Brewery is located in the downtown area. I am somewhat familiar with Santa Rosa from a previous trip to wine country. I remember wanting to watch the NCAA basketball finals at that particular spot. But, due to overcrowding, I returned to my hotel without sampling their amazing beer. I watched the Florida/Ohio State game at the Flamingo Hotel. Talk about letdown of a game and karoake ensued at the Flamingo.
This time, I was determined to enjoy a pint.
Of course, the brewer was not there. I guess this means I will have to return for another visit.
We entered the packed establishment and was seated by the wall, under a large screen tv. The World Series Game was about to begin. Lindsay loves baseball and so I knew a few of our collective needs were being met--location/beer for Sara, and baseball, for Lindsay. I think Megan just liked being there, like me.
We ordered water and beer and then the game began. Blasted from the sound, we moved to the last available open table. It was too much. I couldn't handle the sound. It was unbearable. I felt like an old lady; however, I wasn't alone with the sound factor.
We ordered some flatbread and drank a beer. I drank the porter, Lindsay tried the wit bier and Sara and Megan drank an IPA. We were sated.
Wanting to have an enjoyable dinner, we stopped at a Peet's coffee shop and drove back to Napa. I needed a shower! No more wine tasting without a change of clothes. I liked our costumes for the holiday and that everyone asked what race we had run. But, I was ready for a change.

No comments: