Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Strawberry on the knee

What an incredible day? Well, until about 3 pm when the clouds rushed in the weather headed south. Of course this was when I thought I should head out for my run.
Clad in my typical attire--shorts/t-shirt--I headed west to Logan. I was in a positive running place thinking about my night, meeting some friends and then celebrating my running partner's awesome marathon finish. I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing.
I headed down Logan and just as I approached 6th ave, I see this guy on a bike and a woman that I just walked past. My immediate thoughts were--why are you on the sidewalk, riding your bike when there is a bike lane sort of? I contemplated how to maneuver the cyclist who by the way had no helmet on and looked inept on the bike. As we started to pass each other, I stepped down, funny, and ate it. I scraped my left knee, elbow, twisted my right ankle and somehow managed to avoid my face. I guess there are some things to be thankful for.
I stood up and the cyclist goes--are you okay?
This is me---F*&K! Yes, I am okay.
The walker followed me about a 1/2 block to ask me if I wanted a ride home. Very sweet, but I didn't want my foot to cramp up. Instead, I walked and tried to work out the kinks in my legs. I noticed, then, that my water bottle was covered in leaves/shit and that I had apparently fallen on a cactus since I had multiple twills on my right hand. Brilliant move, right?
I made it home, iced my foot and then took a salt bath. I am okay. A little humiliated, but whatever. I shouldn't have been focusing on the cyclist. Once I saw him, I quit watching the sidewalk and fell, hard, due to my own ineptitude. Yes, I now have a strawberry on my left knee. I felt like a kid again when I got home and saw that.
Tomorrow, I will be more aware of my surroundings and not get hung up on the random cyclist....

No comments: