Monday, November 15, 2010

Wine madness continues

Day Two of excessive wine drinking begins in an hour.
Different friends and stories to keep the entertainment factor alive. Soooooooooo excited!
Initially, Maghan was supposed to join the Goddess, Sara Jo, and me for wine. We brought a few bottles of vino back from Napa and it was our intention to share the juice with him. We had a fantastic lodging experience mostly, in part, to Maghan's connections.
A few weeks ago, I asked him if today would work and he agreed to the date. It can be challenging to coordinate four people's schedules. And, Sara tends to pick up shifts early in the week which further limits my ability to coordinate.
Last night, he called me to cancel.
Still, we are opening the wine, eating garlic, bread and cheese, and toasting life. My friends are amazing! I worry the hangover factor, but it is worth it, all things considered. I cleaned my house in preparation of the visit and went shopping with Sara at Tony's gourmet market. I had heard many wonderful things about this market, but today was my first visit. Impressed, too. A little spendy, but cute and had many options to accompany our wine tasting tonight.
I am trying to slow down my prep work and so I opted to blog about more wine stories.
Or determination.
I have a friend from high school that I have been fortunate enough to keep up with via facebook. I knew that she was a runner from viewing her page and that she and her husband both were marathoners. What I didn't know was that her husband had been run over after a 1/2 Marathon two years ago. I didn't know that there was a question to whether or not he would walk again.
This man decided he wanted to run the New York Marathon. He did a week ago with his wife. Talk about determination and inspiration. Truly, anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Instead of becoming a victim, he chose to run again and has inspired me to fully embrace what I want from my life. Life is short. It's not like I don't know that, but sometimes, I need the reminder to give me a burst of energy. Instead of sitting back and watching life go on around me, it is time to figure out what I want to take from it.
Not the just wine....Although, how awesome would that be to just drink great wine daily? Or write about it? Or travel for it? Ahhhhhh, wine, inspires me, too.......Enjoy your night. It is time for me to get back to prep work....

6 comments:

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

I read your posts and they always make me want wine. (Well, maybe not the ones about running, LOL!) I just can't seem to find any I like, and don't really know how to go about it. Maybe you can give me some tips? :):)

harmony said...

Sure. Do you prefer red or white? I tend to drink more red than white, but have found several sauvignon blancs that I enjoy.
I am glad that my wine obsession shows through....

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

No preference really... I just don't like dry wines. I've tried several, most just a shot in the dark... standing in front of aisles and aisles of wines is so very daunting to me, I never know where to start. I do like chilled, so I guess that would put me in the "white" category?

harmony said...

A little of both, really. The best way to find what you prefer is to try any and all that look interesting. I love big reds--Cabernet, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, Syrah. Well, I just like wine.
Some people enjoy chilling a red, too, before serving it. Try a sauvignon blanc from New Zealand. They are affordable and tasty. Or, some people really love pinot noirs. I prefer something with a little more body. Check out a merlot from Washington State. There is so many options. Just go for it! There are sparkling reds, too, which might be the way to start....have fun! I am jealous!

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Can't wait to hit the store this weekend! ;)

harmony said...

I am excited for you too. Please let me know how it works. I love shopping for wine.