Saturday, July 9, 2011

Poor planning or perhaps I wanted it to happen this way....

Lately, I have been attending spin class, religiously, and running, too. In fact, last Saturday, I managed to do both. First, Tom and I went running, took a mini break and headed out to my first spin class in two years. In all, it was my second attempt at this particular form of exercise. My first time happened while I was utilizing my complimentary pass to an athletic club in downtown Denver. The club, itself, offered several amenities and provided much happiness for me and my friend, Sara Jo. I had her included on my pass so that she, too, could check out the facility. Typically, we would run on the treadmills and use the sauna. I loved that aspect of the gym. The treadmill was just an excuse to find peace in that realm of the gym. One day, we decided to check out one of their spin classes. Intense. I remember walking down three flights of stairs to get to the locker room. My legs burned. That day the sauna was awesome, most excellent and I had difficulty leaving.
So, I was a little uncertain of how I would feel about attending a spin class. Did I want my legs to burn like that? Not really. Still, I committed to going and I figured--what did I really have to lose? I might have some discomfort after the class. I should go and check it out.
We did a light run and then went to the gym. The class filled up with a mix of ages and equal amounts of men and women. Tentative, I watched people arrive, wipe down the equipment and prepare for the class.
The instructor arrived. Turned on the music and we were off. Decent tempo and I survived. I felt confident that I would be able to complete other spin classes. It wasn't entirely easy, but I made it through and was able to walk afterwards. Definitely not the same aftermath of the initial class.
Since last Saturday, I have went to two other classes with a different instructor. Chris rocks. Great music selection and energetic. I like his classes. I wish he were teaching the spin class today.
Anyways, I woke up this morning with the intention of running and following the activity with a spin class. I knew coffee would factor in somewhere and possibly toast with eggs. I seem to be on an incredible egg kick lately. Regardless, I wake up and notice that my sports bras are all soiled. I thought I had a blue one to use today. No such luck. I realize this at 6:30 am. No time to find a solution and go running.
I break the news to my friend and he seems relieved. His response--we will go tomorrow, right?
I concur and, there is still the 9:15 spin class that I can attend. I gather my clothes and start a load of laundry.
I think back on it and believe, that, maybe, I did want it to work out this way. Perhaps running did not hold my interest this morning. Cross training works.

No comments: