Monday, September 14, 2009

Celebrate today, 9/14/09

Happy Birthday, my friend, Marcee.
I knew it was her birthday. Last year, I sent a card. This year, I have been consumed by the training, travel and food. I did call her. In some ways, I suppose that counts, too, right. It isn't like I just facebooked her. I have her contact info and I contacted her. That works, right?
Today, they had a memorial for my boss, Dale. He passed away on 8/29.
I arrived from Boston on a food high. Guacamole at Todd English's place had been consumed and life was good. How could it not be? I had spent 5 days on the East coast, full of wine, food and possibility for more travel.
I got a text with the news. Perhaps I shouldn't focus on the delivery method, but I knew, within hours of is passing, that it had happened.
I called Dave.
I called Erik.
I left messages.
I remember being overwhelmed by people and knew that when they wanted to reach out to me, they would. Each of them, Dave and Erik, individually, were rocks during my grieving period. Dave is the captain of stoicism and with Erik, I knew that he never judged me or questioned my emotions. He just let me be and he told me about his mom. I could count on him for a meal, too. Lonely attracts lonely and he has a nice palette.
Anyways, today, they had the memorial for Dale and I attended as a guest, not an employee, but a friend. I feel that it was appropriate.
Dale attended Brian's celebration of life and the fundraiser. In the last 3 years, he had been kind to me, understanding and a friend. Today, I was able to honor that in him.
It was a lovely gathering. Several stood up and spoke in his honor. I was surprised at the amount of people that wanted to talk about their relationship to him. Of course, I knew that Dean, Dave and Erik would speak. I expected that.
I had forgotten how difficult it is, personally, to speak of a loved one. Very exposed, vulnerable and yes, revealing. It started out, innocently enough, with friends talking of poker games, golf and of course restaurants.
Than, Erik spoke.
I was proud of him for being able to tell a story of his dad, in his own way. He didn't break down. He did it.
I remember my speech about Brian. I was terrified. I drank water and prayed that I wouldn't break down in front of all of those people. I focused on my story and got through it...as did Erik.
Next, went Dave...super stoic and witty...gotta love Dave'e antecdotes.
The last person to go was Dean. They say that soul mates come in every form. It just isn't lover, but friend, teacher, sibling. It's the lesson learned and I was sad when Dean spoke about losing his twin brother.
The event reminded me of the importance of living in the present moment. It is essential to be happy in the now and not take things for granted. So, celebrate today. Raise your glass and enjoy! Salud~

1 comment:

Nancy said...

No, taking life for granted, even though we all do it, is not the way to go. Life is tenuous, at best. Glad you are in a good place after all you've been through.