Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Doing more with less....change the world wednesday....

This is something that I have been thinking about for some time. I want to simplify my life. I do not need a new car, new shoes or new luggage for my next trip. I have this wonderful bag that is suitable as a carry-on, or is easily packed into a checked bag for souvenirs. I probably will not be investing in luggage anytime soon.
And, I remember being able to pack my car when I wanted to move. No U-Haul or moving truck was necessary. It was me, the Nissan and my belongings.
Of course, with time, I have accumulated stuff and need to downsize. I will be moving into a one bedroom apartment in a month. Yes, I love my rental--location, eclectic space--but, do I really need all of the space? No. I could do more less.
I could travel more, find new restaurants around Denver and readapt to having less.
Yesterday, they posted the Change the World Wednesday Challenge. It suggested posting less use of paper towels. Specifically, not using paper towels for a week. Or, if you already do not use paper towels, write about it and how it is positive in your life.
I rarely use paper towels is what I found out. My old roommate, Chichi, was a huge fan of papertowels. We always had them. She wouldn't restock toilet paper or clean, much of anything, but we always had paper towels.
I'll be honest, I used them when they were here. She moved in January.
Since then, I have been fine without the extra clean-up product. I believe in wash clothes and sponges and seem to get a long just dandy.
I propose, also, to experiment, for a week, without the handy-dandy paper towel. There is less waste, removal of trash and odor. I believe that we can do it. What is the harm in downsizing or finding that we don't need all of this stuff? I know that paper towels do not take up a lot of counter space, but why not try an alternative to this product for a week? You might like it:)
Have a great week and enjoy the challenge.

No comments: