Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rambling post-run and post bloody at Lucille's

There is something about running.
In the past, it was a road block...I was one of those....I could never run a 1/2 marathon unless someone was chasing me. You know, the annoying negative people that continue to be stagnant in their lives. I was definitely one of those when it came to running.
I would run, for about 3 weeks, work up to 4o minutes and then go on vacation. Of course, I would find a reason to not run, today or tomorrow, and then a week would pass. I would be a non-runner yet again.
Or, when I was in Chile, I was running, consistently and enjoying it, but my ipod was stolen and so, again, I became a non-runner.
I spoke to one of my friends, today, and he said--please, promise me one thing---you will finish the marathon regardless of your time or how you are feeling...you will cross the line--I gave him a confident yes.
Now, I am wondering why I had no hesitation when he asked me about the marathon and I realize it is because I enjoy running and this is a goal of mine. I want to complete it. I don't want to fail this. I AM NOT GOING TO FAIL THIS....I see the finish line, I see myself crossing it and I see myself crying, yes, crying. I am okay with it!
Earlier, I mentioned to the Goddess--never in my life did I think I would be running 2 1/2 hours at a stretch and that it would be getting easier. I know that I was being honest with how I felt. It was more than just the standard, I run to maintain my weight, eat carrot cake, or whatever. I truly am enjoying this and look forward to competing in other events.
Maybe I have found another purpose in my life. I know that I never saw it coming from this arena of life. But, I embrace it. I like being surprised.
I need to sleep, ice, rest, relax....enjoy your day and contemplate your purpose.

3 comments:

scarlethue said...

Wow, 2.5 hours of running, go you. I cycle thirty minutes and feel like I've accomplished something, haha.

Thanks so much for those Vegas recommendations! I've been there once but it was a whirlwind trip with no real time to sample anything other than the Sunday champagne brunch buffet at Paris, which was so good, mostly because of the cheese. I looked at Bouchon's menu online, I'm dying to go there now!

Jen Feeny said...

LOVE this post! Keep it up girl, I can't wait to read your marathon recap and good for you embracing crying at the end... I so picture myself crying too! :)

For carrot cake!!!

harmony said...

awesome. Love Carrot Cake. I think the best I have ever had was in Wellington, New Zealand. I might return to just go to Olives.
Yes, crying will happen. I will run right by my house--2 miles from the end. I don't want to detour, but it will be tempting!