Wednesday, June 29, 2011

sand, sand, everywhere....

I love Tuesday nights. Solely, for volleyball. Inspiring.
Last night was a little different. The turnout was smaller. I arrived and knew only one guy well enough to joke around with. Miles is the one that decided to name me Sara. It took, and last night, several people greeted me with--Hey, Sara. I think I prefer my Mexican nickname--Destiny. I acquired that nickname on a flight from Denver. Over the course of the flight, the guy next to me, told me his life story and inquired about my life. Short flight, but long enough to have a personal history laid out. When I walked away from the guy, he said--Destiny, it was a pleasure to meet you.
I couldn't believe it. How was it possible that this guy would forget my name after telling me all of these personal stories? I retold this to my friends in Mexico and from that point on, I was introduced as Harmony from the States and Destiny while she is visiting Mexico. Definitely a better nickname, for me, than Sara.
Anyways, I was on a team with two guys to start. One had a vicious serve and the other was a capable player. My serves were consistent and I managed to dig out serves and field that back court well. My net play struggled all night. Each time I had the opportunity to spike, suddenly, I would overthink my move and screw it up. It sucked. The one guy with the awesome jump serve was also a great setter. He consistenly tried to make a play work with me. Drats! It wasn't sticking. A few more people showed up and we recruited the lack of personality guy. Great serve but otherwise, no contribution. Seriously. This guy would not attempt a play unless the play was hit directly to him. Frustrating! And, he has no personality whatsoever. I think I have seen him smile once over the course of three Tuesdays. Talk about intense.
Throughout the night, Miles kept making comments to me. Light hearted and he made me laugh. We opted to redraw cards to change up the dynamics. Three people left which left us with eleven people and one volleyball. At this point, two more people decided to leave since playing with five, per side, is too cumbersome. Had we had anothe volleyball to play with, well, we could have split up more.
We played one more match and it was okay. Overall, the night was lame, really. I did manage to protect my knees and restrict excessive bleeding. That is something. A few people met for beers afterwards. I opted to return to the west valley. A porter sounded delightful and so I stopped at a market in route to the casa. Of course, they did not have any dark beers outside of Guinness which did not sound appealing. I settled for a belgian wit.
I woke up this morning and found sand in my bed which wasn't too surprising since I did play volleyball last night. I brushed my hair and surprise--more sand. I didn't think I dove that much, last night. Apparently, I did. My hair is full of sand. Just another friendly reminder of volleyball. The sand factor. I look forward to next week and hope that the turnout is greater. It was a mediocre outing at best.

No comments: