Saturday, December 8, 2007

Apollo Bay

Apollo Bay is awesome. I arrived on Friday night and decided to stay until Wednesday. The hostel is small, about a ten minute walk to the beach and the owners are quite nice. When I arrived ( no shower in 36 hours, exhausted) they made me a cup of tea and gave me cookies...I was in heaven.
The beach is glorious, only cold. I believe that I am now seeing the southern ocean and the water is clear and if I surfed, this would be the spot. The only problem with Apollo Bay is the flies--they follow you everywhere outside. You step outside and you are swarmed, seriously. I went for a walk yesterday and had 20 on my backpack, arms and buzzing around my face. Oh, and they try to go up your nose--it is fantastic.
I am relaxing and it is nice to have a place to be. Sydney is overripe with travelers and Melbourne felt that way, too. I think I am going to head west and check out the outback. At least I will be entertained. Also, I am thinking about going to Esperanze and Margarets River. They all head to Perth on the southern coast, but they are supposed to be nice ports to hang out.
HOpe all is well. I love the sunshine. I got a little sunburnt yesterday.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Hello Harmony,

I got a little freezer burnt last night. We did have large sun dogs though. I delivered my first batch of candle to Stacie. When we left St. Cloud (I begged Connie to ride with) it was 5 below. I had the bright idea to do a little shopping. We left the last store at 11:30pm and it was 11 below. Burrrr. I spent another 10 hours shopping today. I thought it might get me in the holiday spirit, instead I just got cold.

I went to both Kellen and Hannah's basketball games. They have both improved greatly over last year. Kellen seems to have a great coach and I think she is really enjoying the game. I don't really know much about basketball, but Hannah has an awful coach. They lose most games and I think it's mostly to do with the lack of coaching. I was getting upset and it was the only game that I have attended. I'm glad they both are still playing.

I have been very busy. I am working more hours at work and then trying to be a candle maker at night. I have been reading your blog but just haven't had time to write. Tomorrow (Sunday) I am going to snuggle in and Tom is going to watch some football. I hope to research the area that you are now and the places that you will be traveling to. I will also research more about Penfold vineyards. When will you be there?

Happy sunshine. Keep cotton in your nose so the flies can't get in, the locals probably won't bother you either.

I am fuzzy from lack of sleep and food. Good Night, Love Shari

harmony said...

Okay, so it wasn't completely sunny yesterday, but it still wasn't freezing. Instead, it rained off and of, all day. I was able to walk up to Mariner's Lookout and felt pretty good about it. THere are 4 girls from the UK and I swear, either they stay in their hostel room all day or when I am coming to and from, they are out in the kitchen, eating. I haven't actually seen them leave the hostel. I think it's weird, but I guess they are trying to save money or something. I can't imagine being cooped up in one room all day long.
Let me know how the candles work out. I am excited to see them when I return.
It is difficult, at times, to watch kids sports. I think parents can be obnoxious and coaching is a lot different when I was playing. They cared about the kids and I had a few coaches that I didn't like, but that was when I was in high school. As a child, all of my coaches were kid friendly and able to motivate us to win.
I am going to Melbourne on Wednesday and should be in Adelaide next week. I will be in the Penfold's area most of next week, I think.
Get some sleep!