Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Onward to Perth

I checked out of my hostel and decided to be honest about some of the staff there. One guy, Darren, was awesome. He let me check in early on Sunday morning, let me change rooms (twice) and booked a tour for me. His co-worker, that works nights, sucked. He told me that he didn't want to book a tour for me since it wasn't worth the commission to call and inquiry about a possible stay in the Barossa Valley. He suggested that it would be just as easy for me to do even though I didn't have a phone. Disappointed, I e-mailed the company directly and arranged for my tour. I wanted to mention the man's lack of assistance since they consider themselves tour travel help, too. They advertise that they book tours and really, how difficult is it to make one phone call? I understand having bad days or even not wanting to be bothered--I know that I have been there with some of the customers at the Bull and Bush--but, how hard is it really to be compassionate? I pose this question to you as I have pondered it the last few days.
In my note to the establishment, I didn't lie about what happened or call the man a name. Instead, I wrote what happened and how it affected my stay at the Blue Gulah Hostel. Darren told me that he was relocating to Sydney because he was tired of his co-worker, who also happens to be a part owner. Of course, he is! Some people should take vacations more, or find a reason to be happy in life. Truly, it is too short to be so unpleasant.
Enough complaining...I leave for Perth this evening. I should, hopefully, be on the beach tomorrow morning and explore the western state of Australia. It has been a beautiful experience so far.

No comments: