Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tired.....

I love traveling, but getting to and from Boston was painful.
Sunday night, I closed. I got home at 2:45 am and had to be at the airport by 5 am to catch my 6:15 flight. I was nervous about oversleeping and so I didn't. Instead, I repacked, showered and headed to DIA.
That day was long. I had a layover in Chicago and when I arrived at Logan, I waited for another hour to catch a bus north to Maine. Thankfully, I was able to sleep on both flights and of course, while watching the Love Bug en route to Portland, ME. My friend, Jean, picked me up at the bus terminal. With the exception of the lame movies provided--Love Bug, some documentary on sailing (not lame, but not superfantastic either) and Mr. Bean's Holiday--ultra lame, I enjoyed the bus rides. They reminded me of being New Zealand and traveling around that country. It was clean, safe and without stress.
Jean and her friend, Susan, picked me up in Portland and we had another 3 hour drive to Surry. Let's just say, day 1 of traveling was exhausting. Still, she made dinner, showed me my room and we had some wine. Jean is a wonderful hostess.
Yesterday, same story, opposite direction. Although, I was already in Boston, so that part of the tour was shortened. I was dropped off at Logan, sat around for 4 hours, ate guacamole at Todd English's restaurant in Terminal B and eventually made it to Chicago. Upon arriving, I was famished and so I looked at my options and settled with Macaroni Grill. I wasn't too enthused about the food in Chicago. I could have looked more, but O'Hare was disappointing. I returned to Denver, took the shuttle to my car and got in Denver around 8:30. Granted, it wasn't that bad, but I spent most of the day in an airport, patiently waiting to go home. I am lamenting the downside of travel. I wish I could transport myself in a quicker fashion, avoid lame movies/people/stress. It wasn't awful, just long. I will say that the guacamole and salsa was exactly what I had been craving. I have been to Olives, several times, in Las Vegas, and so I was familiar with Todd English. I was thankful that he had a restaurant set up in Logan and grateful for the offerings. I considered a quesadilla, but could have just eaten a bowl of salsa, or pico de gallo for which it really was.
Anyways, I will reflect on my awesome trip later. I am tired, need to unpack and gear up for work.

No comments: