Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July

Day off. Lovely.
Yesterday, I worked. Annoyed that we were open, but willing to work, I struggled through it. Actually, the day wasn't too awful. My friends from Elway's stopped in and since it was an atypical Sunday, I was able to b.s. and enjoy the day. I wasn't overwhelmed with server tickets or regulars. For the most part, everyone knew that we were closing at 3. Everyone, that is, except Dave.
Days where we are closing early or in some ways different, a "manager" shows up. Ironically, I had been waiting, all week, for them to indicate that we were closing on the 4th at 3 p.m. and closing all day Monday. I mentioned it to them. I waited. I waited. I waited. No sort of indication that we were closing at 3, on Sunday.
Yesterday, at 3, I saw Dave and say--so, this is it, right?
He goes--well, the kitchen is done. I figure we should be done by 3:30.
All day, people call and I tell them that we are closing at 3. A couple comes in and I tell them, that I would get them a drink, but that we were finished. I had called, last call, fifteen minutes prior to that.
They don't say anything and I do not think any different.
Eventually, I find out that a sign had been posted that we were staying open until 4:30 that day. WTF?!?! Really....
Dave disappears and Tiffany shows up. At this point, I have employees and a few friends of mine in the bar. Tiffany says she will lock up after the last customer leaves.
All, in all, it wasn't bad. I made money. I was able to talk to my friends/customers and I left at 5:30. I left with a roadie--I know--it was bad. Halfway home, I dumped it out.
The weather was glorious and I kept envisioning an evening run. I knew that if I finished the mimosa roadie, I would not.
I called Kat and arranged to meet her at 7ish. I checked my e-mail, threw on my work-out gear, stretched and headed outside. The weather had been overcast and amazing. No visor (security blanket) necessary.
I walk outside. Of course, it is raining. I evaluate the pro's and con's of going. I return, inside, grab the visor and go running. It was awesome. Especially after Saturday's long run. It felt so natural to be going....one foot in front of another....I absolutely adored it.
Yes, 4th of July was a good day. Not exactly the way I planned it, but definitely enjoyable. I hope you enjoyed yours.

No comments: