Thursday, July 1, 2010

Avenue Bed and Breakfast






Originally, I wanted to go to Aspen. Really, I did. It still eludes me. One day. I will be successful at checking out.
It is a ways away. I do not have air conditioning in my car. Jan is from Phoenix and used to having a/c, available, at all times. Plus, the drive there would be fine, but the return trip would have seemed like forever. I tried to sell her on my retirement city--Santa Fe--but she was having no part of it. Five hours in the car seemed unrealistic to go there. Aspen also seemed too far.
Knowing this, I suggested Manitou Springs. I felt an hour would be do-able and I had heard that Manitou was an eclectic mountain town. That sounded more my speed. Yes, I love food and thinking of myself as a foodie. Aspen will be lovely, one day, but it is a glamorous town. Celebrities own homes and frequent the restaurants. Jan and I, together, enable drinking, not decorum, if you know what I mean.
We looked at bed and breakfasts in the area. Several were booked and then, I found, the Avenue Bed and Breakfast.
There was an opening. We tried to call and left a message. And, on-line, we made a request. After our dinner, at Fruition, we returned to my house, and I checked my e-mail. A response had been made regarding our room. It was available and they wanted us to stay.
After the lovely time at the Broadmoor, I drove to the Avenue B & B. There was some parking, on the street, along with construction. Not a fan of construction, but I dealt with it. We parked behind the building which seemed easier to access the hotel. The inn was homey and I liked Gwynn, right away. She showed us to our room and reminded us, twice, that there would be fresh cookies available in a few hours. I knew that this was the place. Fresh cookies? How could we not be fans?
Our room, the Osage, was $130 a night and located on the 3rd floor. The bed was comfy and large. We had a large closet and there were multiple windows in the room. The place reminded me of a house that my mom would love. I remember commenting on that to Jan.
The only drawback of the Osage Room was the bathroom. There wasn't a real separation from the room. A curtain worked as a divider. But, it wasn't enough and I was uncomfortable with the arrangement. Not to mention that it was too small to maneuver. The shower/toilet was tiny. Really, that part sucked.
I know that most of the other rooms had adequate bathrooms. But, we booked late and that was all that was available.
I liked the space and I enjoyed talking with Gwynn. She and her husband took over the space 18 months ago. Before that, she was a professional wall paper installer. Burnt out on the job, she decided to begin, again. They bought a B & B and renovated it.
A joy. A pleasure to talk with. A gem.
We woke up, early, since Jan never sleeps and I walked down and got us coffee. At 8:30, promptly, breakfast was served--a fruit cup, muffin, and stuffed french toast. Rich, decandent and filling. Happy, but would have preferred a breakfast burrito.
Jan and I spoke with the other guests and planned out our day. I could have lounged another day at the Avenue Bed and Breakfast. Truly lovely and a definite return spot. If you are entertaining a thought of a visit to Manitou Springs, check it out. They have an outdoor hot tub, too. Yes, I did check that out! Awesome.

No comments: