Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Neighborhood Gem



Yesterday, I met Jenn at Siena Wine Bar. Initially, I thought about meeting at La La's since it near my house. I can walk there. However, I do not love their wine list. I think it needs to be updated and adjusted. Prices seem off in some cases and the food, although a lot, isn't anything to write home about. It is standard. I don't even want to mention the service factor. I always leave feeling unsatisfied. My friend, Jenny, can attest to that point.
Nevertheless, I asked my boss, Dave, where he would go. He said, Siena. I was unfamiliar with it, but he went there on Monday night since it is near his house. Actually, he said, either Siena or Encore--also near his house. I looked at each website, texted Jenn, and told her to choose. She chose Siena.
Post nap, post run, I drove to Siena. Walking was an option, but due to the ridiculous heat, I considered the bus or my car. The bus, there, would have been fine. Clean, still light out and cheap. The ride back would have been more challenging. I mean, I would have to stick to the schedule, be outside/on time and ready to deal with any other person on the bus. In the past, I took the 15 to Solera and I vowed to not ride the bus, at night, again. Sure, the 10 is not the 15. The ridership on the 10 is not as colorful as the people on the 15--at any point in the day.
I drove.
Scattered, I made my way east. Somehow, I managed to turn onto a one way street going against traffic. Like I said, I was scattered. Thankfully, I was able to correct my mistake, without accident.
I arrived at Siena. They have a patio that isn't functioning yet. Inside, there is exposed brick, mustard walls, navy, and a red bathroom. We sat at a window table and started a 3 hour conversation.
Since they just opened, there were just a handful of customers. The bar seemed interesting and I did enjoy the decor. We shared a baked brie appetizer, mushroom tart and concluded with a cheese plate. I know, we went heavy on the dairy, but it accompanies wine extremely well.
Jenn stuck with a pinot grigio whereas I began with a white, moved on to a malbec, then a merlot, from Washington. The prices were reasonable and I intend to return to explore more of what they offer. I liked it. I can see myself dining there regularly. It is located at 12th and Madison. Check it out...it is a gem of a place.

2 comments:

King_MTB said...

I think that is Sienna Wine Bar on 12th ad Madison? I was looking up pics of our favorite neighborhood bar and found your post. Love that place...and I can see my friend Ivan in one of your pics...too funny =)

harmony said...

Yes, it is Sienna. Great neighborhood spot that I miss. I'll have to make sure to return next time I am in Denver. Thanks for commenting~