Friday, July 30, 2010

Upon Arrival

I am in paradise. Really. Absolutely adore the Bahamas.
I am envious of my friend since she chose to relocate here. The best part is that I can return to visit if I so choose. Hopeful, I will remain. I have 4 days to prove myself, unworthy. I do not intend to do this.
I feel that I am overwhelmed by my thoughts on this vacation. I want a day, to myself, to compose my thoughts, my direction in life, what I am trying to find. I feel distracted by the beach, by my book and by my desire to see experience life here. Sharleen lives in Nassau, a block from a private beach. I arrived Tuesday, and within 25 minutes of my arrival, I was on the beach with 4 of her friends. They brought a bucket of local beer, some jungle juice, and an umbrella. Heavenly.
It canceled out the wait in customs while I stood, surrounded by other tourists hoping to enter the country legally. I saw several young couples, older couples celebrating their anniversaries and families. The families seemed the most of place since traveling to the Bahamas, to me, is like vacationing in Las Vegas. It is an adult destination. Hotels are not cheap. There are no hostels and everything costs. Traveling as a family would not be cost efficient.
I suppose I am bitter since I watched this couple behind me try to manage their two boys. The only thing that came out of their mouth's during the wait, was Don't!, Stop! Quit! Leave your brother alone....No, do not sit on the planter....can't you read what the sign says? Stop!
Over and over until I was at the front of the line. At that point, I quit listening and visualized the beach, a beer, and the sand.
Not disappointed at all....beautiful, stunning and all within a block of my friend's rental.
Sharleen and I met while traveling in Chile. We bonded over the bed bug run hostel, Hostel de Sammy in Santiago and became friends.
I will update more later and expand on my thoughts of Nassau, Sharleen and my experience here.

No comments: