Tuesday, July 6, 2010

boredom leads to missing items of importance

This evening, I worked. I had arranged to not close. I wasn't feeling it. I convinced one of my co-workers to do that duty.
Of course, it wasn't busy and so we were standing around, trying to fight off boredom by recounting our weekends. Jeff went to Blues Traveler on Sunday. He mentioned that although the concert was great, he froze and felt that was unpleasant. Jena had a baby shower for her cousin. Hummel met his neighbors and said he enjoyed spending part of the weekend with them. Eventually, it was just Dave and I, and so I told him about the magnet that I had received earlier today. Shari sent me a magnet and it made my day. It is a person holding a six pack in one hand and a bottle of wine, in the other. The caption reads--some call you an enabler...I call you friend.
True and relative to how I view myself. Yes, I am enable friendly.
Dave laughed and I continued to tell him my current thoughts about life, love/relationships, and Brian. I told him that maybe I still wasn't ready to move forward since I seemed to be attracting people that were unavailable to me or vice versa to some degree. Maybe I am not ready.
I teared up and walked away.
Five minutes later, I realized that my right contact was missing. I returned to the area that I had been standing and tried to locate it. I could not find it.
At this point, I had two tables on the verge of leaving. I went into the bathroom, hoping to find my contact. But, alas, no dice.
I kept putting my right hand in front of my right left eye, hoping that my contact would be back in place. I asked my co-workers if they had contact solution. I knew that Erik had contacts, but he wears hard contacts and so our solutions do not match up.
Before I got too freaked out about my situation, I decided to drive home, retrieve my glasses, and return back to work. I told Jeff since he was closing and headed out. I have lost contacts, before, and so I knew that I had some time before an oncoming headache overwhelmed me and my senses. I needed to be able to see, clearly, and not only with one eye. If I did not fix the problem, my drive home would both suck and be frightful. Driving blind is not recommended.
Thankfully, there was little traffic and I was able to get in and out of my house, unscathed.
I returned to work and waited on four additional tables. Lame night, for sure.
I small talked with customers and made the most of my situation. I had sympathy from customers regarding my lost contact.
At 9 pm, I drove home. I was glad that I would be able to rest/relax, at home. As I pulled into the alley, I saw that someone had parked in my space. In spite of the large sign saying that it is private parking and that we do tow. I park behind the three cars and swear. I am so annoyed that someone parked in my spot. I tried to find out who had parked in my spot. My downstairs neighbor seems to be knowledgable about most things in the house. I banged on his door and waited for a response. Nada. Of course, the one time I need him. I swear, that guy doesn't work and he is always at home.
I ponder what to do. I am lost in thought when this guy comes running out and says--sorry, someone was in Hazel's spot....I only parked there for a few minutes.
I wanted him to move and so I left it at that. However, he did back into the space. I know he was there more than a few minutes and I don't care if someone is in Hazel's space--do not park in mine!
I still haven't found the contact. Perhaps, in the morning, it will have rolled forward.

No comments: