Saturday, July 10, 2010

Parking

Car in wrong parking spot--again.
Last night, I arrived home, to find that my spot had been occupied by a vehicle that I do not own.
It was 11:00 p.m. I had some anxiety about my early morning run and so the last thing that I wanted to do, was deal with finding the moron that had parked in my space.
Running on adrenaline, I charged up the stairs to the second landing of my house and knocked on the door of the person, who I believed, had parked in my spot.
See, on Tuesday, I had an altercation with said person and noticed that the same car that had offended me, then, had reappeared, on Friday night.
I knocked on the door and the girl answered. My first question was--did you park in my parking space?
No. I don't have a car.
Well, do you happen to know whose car it is? I mean, I saw the same vehicle in your spot on Tuesday night when your friend parked in my spot.
No. I don't know whose car it is. But, you can park in my spot. (I didn't think to ask, why do you have a spot, if you do not have a car?)
I said, that, no, I didn't want to make a habit of parking in her spot. From my perspective, doing that, would establish a bad habit of me trying to find a space at 3 am, instead of parking, in my designated spot.
I apologized for the late hour and returned to my house. I wrote a note, placed it on the windshield of the car and went to bed.
I tried, too, I did. However, I was amped up from anger and frustrated that I was unable to calm down.
I kept imagining, oversleeping. Thus, missing my long run.
Somehow, I was able to sleep.
I woke up. 5 a.m.
Stretched, urinated, stretched some more, and then headed to my car. I knew that the person would not have moved the car. I had some anxiety that I was stirring up a hornet's nest. I looked at the car. A Toyota Corolla with a ton of bumper stickers. Considering that, I knew it was a girl's car and that I could take her. Meaning, I stood behind my decision to ask her to move her car.
I pay for that spot. I deserve that spot. I shouldn't have to ask someone to move their car when I get home. I own that spot.
The run was in Arvada and quite lovely. I mentioned my situation to a couple of people that I was running with and they all recommended the same thing---tow the car.
I knew that it must be a neighbor and so I didn't want to make matters worse.
Returning home, hopeful for a free spot, I was dismayed when her car was still in my spot. I bumped into the "neighborhood watch" in my building and discussed the situation with them.
Of course, they knew whose car it was and had already called the girl to move her vehicle. I explained that Hazel, upstairs neighbor, told me that I could park in her spot.
The two guys told me that Hazel did not own a spot. Only I, and them, had a reserved spot behind the house. Surprise. But, then again, we are the only ones that pay a percentage of the utilities. Whereas, it is included in the other tenant's rent. Yes, I do not support this practice. But, the parking space is mine due to that.
Hours later. Yes, hours later, the offender finally moves her car. Thankful, I am ready to let bygones be bygones. And, if ever, she parks in my spot, again, I will tow her car.
She claims that she didn't know that it was an unavailable spot. Really? I have lived here for 8 months and always park in that spot.
She apologized. She said that she forgot that she parked in my spot until the neighborhood watch called her....LAME AND A COMPLETE LOAD OF B.S....I am glad that tonight, when I came home, I did not have to fight to get my spot. It was open and available (as it should be) to me.
Enjoy your night!

No comments: