Saturday, July 24, 2010

Long run

Long runs on Saturdays are amazing.
I do not enjoy getting up, at 5, to tackle the necessary run, but afterwards, I feel awesome. There seems to be endless opportunity to the day.
This morning my training plan kindly suggested 10 miles. I am on the fence with which level to focus on. Therefore, I could run a straight ten miles or run a goal pace 10 miles.
I stretched, a ton, and then headed to Englewood. When I arrived, the coach was already addressing the focal point of today's run--offering support, encouragement, remedies to experiencing a bad day of running. Yes, I have had a bad run. He offered simple ways to counteract the downer running days while we stretched as a group.
Eventually, we broke into pace groups and began the run. I didn't really recognize many people in my group and so I settled into the front. There were two guys leading the way and I was right behind them. A mile in, one of the guys decided to hang back for the rest of the group. He seemed unaware of etiquette. He halted right in front of me. And, no, I wasn't on his ass. I dislike feeling claustrophobic in any activity. Specifially running, since any freak movement can create an accident or injury. I did not approve of how the guy decided to stop.
Anyways, I ended up running with this guy, Chris. He is training for the Denver 1/2 and is a runner. He talked, a lot, and pushed the pace forward. I tried to hang back to conserve energy, but he kept going despite his talk of me pushing him. He had planned on running 13 miles and I only needed ten miles. At the 5 mile marker, I was solo.
For all of about, 30 seconds. There were three women in the process of heading back to the start and so I jumped in with them. They were in a different pace group and I feel confident that I could run in that group without feeling inadequate or inferior. I liked the women and one of them was the coach's wife, Julie. She seemed to know everyone and remembered random details of people we encountered on the way back to the start. I liked that she seemed interested in their lives, too. It wasn't just about the running.
Afterwards, I stretched, showered and decided to get a pedicure. Brilliant decision since the girl definitely earned her tip on the leg massage alone. I feel so much better after the pedicure and my toes look nice, too. Just in time to go to a beach.
Yes, I feel productive. I enjoy the early runs for how prepared I am to tackle the rest of my Saturday. I hope you enjoy yours!

No comments: