Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Change of plans

Monday, Sara Jo and I went for our first, ever, outdoor run together. Since I signed her up for the Healdsburg Half, I felt, I should be the one to encourage running together.
Sara Jo has a full schedule. Typically, we go to the gym and enjoy running on side by side treadmills. Ipods blasting and you know---it is a treadmill. The workout is completely different than being outside. We do not talk to each other. Instead the focus is on the music, the tv, or the other athletes in the area. Yes, it can be distracting/entertaining. Afterwards, we sit in the dry sauna and relish in that feeling. I love the gym, alone, for that amenity.
Running outside is new to Sara as she is a novice runner. She ran the Colfax Relay, with me and 3 other girls, and liked it. Liked it enough to be excited about the Healdsburg 1/2. I gave her my training plan from Team in Training which sets up a schedule in order to be successful at completing a Half Marathon. She has the tools, the passion and the convenience, like me, of living near several parks. It is only doing it, now.
Our run went smooth and we agreed to make Monday, our outdoor run, together. I am thankful that I have two planned runs, a week. I do the group on Saturday and now, a smaller run, with Sara. It will prolong my Monday drinking lunch, too. I suppose I could arrange post run wine dates. I will have to look into that.
After Monday's run, we committed to a gym session, this morning. I think Sara is ready to begin the training.
This morning, I woke up and was disappointed to not find my contact. It's gone, and this solidifies my need to make an appointment with my eye doctor. Somehow, I keep procrastinating the necessary evil of the dentist. Yes, my eyes are important to me. Teeth, too; but, there is less pain associated with the eye doctor.
Nevertheless, I had coffee, checked my e-mail, packed my gym bag and was about to begin the ritual of stretching when I noticed I had missed two text messages. One from Sara Jo and the other from the Goddess.
Quick note on that...Lindsay is hosting Italian kids for the next two weeks. I have a friend that works at the zoo and so I mentioned that I might be able to get Lindsay complimentary passes to the Denver Zoo. Her text message was regarding her happiness that she is getting 6 passes to the zoo. I am glad that I have good friends.
Sara Jo needed to cancel the gym. She slept terribly and did not feel up to the gym.
In a way, I was bummed; but ultimately, I prefer outdoor running and today is a beautiful day. According to my friend, Meghan Smith, via facebook---It is fall in Colorado. I love it!--Me, too. It ensures a mid-morning run that is enjoyable and not heat sensitive.
I can always go to the gym on another morning. But, how many mornings in July, can I enjoy the weather in this way? Few, I would imagine. Change of plans led to successful, more enjoyable running experience.

No comments: