Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dr visit

I convinced Jimmy to go to an Urgent Care Facility with me. We arrived and I was ushered into the room. They asked me about the pain and took my vitals. I was thorough in describing the way I was attacked and how I had been self-treating the bites and going to acupuncture. They put me in a room and told me to put on the dressing so that the doctor could view my wound.
I was ready to see him when they changed rooms on me. The nurse told me that the doctor felt that he would be taking a culture since I had stayed at a youth hostel when I got the original bite. I met dr. Brent, a younger doctor with idealism and passion of helping others. He explained to me that he was involved with this particular clinic since he knew how expensive it was to go to the ER. He wanted to be able to provide people with a way to get professional healthcare, at an affordable price. Plus, he believes in Eastern medicine which convinced me that he was good.
He looked at my current bite and told me that he felt that it was mersa. Mersa is popular today since as a society we overindulged the antibiotics and have created a staph infection that is resistant to most antibiotics. He feels this is what i have. Ironically, I have used antibiotics sparingly in the past. I have been healthy most of my life, but now, I get to deal with some bullshit infection because of overuse from other people. He took a culture, relanced my wound and packed it with gauze.
He was impressed with my pain tolerance since he saw what Derryn had started the night before. I am on antibiotics, equipped with a heating pad and taking it easy the next few days. I return tomorrow for a follow-up visit.
I spoke to my miracle acupuncturist and he told me to not eat what i love since it would irritate the wound. So, no coffee, alcohol, dairy, spicy, fried or dessert type foods. This sucks, but not being able to sit down is worse. Currently, I have a boil, cellulitis and an infection. LOVELY...all because I slept at some shitty muslim hostel in Perth on New Year's Eve! I should have went with that Texan to his junior suite...

No comments: