Monday, March 8, 2010

Continuing the Seattle adventure




Coffee. Book read. I spoke to several friends and family members and then Jean got up and made us breakfast. I did watch a little NBA action with Jack. I think he accepted me, finally, at that point.
We drove into Seattle to meet Shari at the Westin. The Westin is conveniently located a few blocks from a light rail station. Instead of taking the shuttle back to the airport, on Tuesday morning, I took the light rail for $2.50. Talk about efficient, clean and convenient. I would recommend to anyone heading to Seattle to consider this option when heading into the city. Do not take a cab or shuttle. The light rail is a lovely option.
We walked to Pike Place Market and it was filled with locals and tourists, alike. They are renovating some of the market and so we perused, quickly, and made our way back to the street. The U.S./Canadian Hockey game concluded as we sat at a waterfront bar. Shari enjoyed a glass of wine and Jean and I drank bloody mary's. I think she was on a mission to get one of those.
We did a wine tasting at a place in the Post Alley. Most of their offerings were Washington Wines and they had small plates to accompany the selections. There was a dog, on the premises, which was annoying. The lap dog was not trained well. It begged, at our table, until his owner, went back into the kitchen to make fare for other customers.
Jean showed us a vegan/gluten free bakery, a cheese shop where they make cheese on the premises and a coffee shop. I was in heaven. I liked the flow of the shops and knew that Shari and I would have breakfast, in this corner, on Tuesday morning.
Jean left. She had domestic issues to contend with--groceries and dinner with the family.
Shari and I walked back down to the pier and made our toast to Brian. Being the 4th year anniversary, we decided, this year, would be about joy. We toasted Brian, his life and released some of his ashes. I opened the bottle of wine from Matthews Winery--it was a blend of cabernet, merlot, petit verdot and malbec--I think.
There were a few other people near us. For the most part, we were able to drink the wine and talk about Brian, openly and freely, with no distractions.
Until, two police cars pull up, on the pier. I am a huge fraidy cat and so, immediately, I cork the wine and put it in my bag. I keep imagining how this must look. The two of us, drinking wine, on the pier. I keep thinking we are going to be arrested.
Shari, like Brian--so much like Brian, has no fear. She continues to look back, almost daring the police, to approach us. I kept thinking--her husband will never let her travel with me, again.
We weren't arrested.
We returned to the Westin and I sat on the couch and spilled the uncorked wine, all over my shorts and the pillows. Lovely and probably karma for my freaking out about the police on the pier.
I showered. We chose How to Cook a Wolf for our dinner. We sat at the bar and ate a hamachi crudo salad, pasta with pork and cauliflower, and a nice dessert. The coffee was delicious. I wanted carrot cake, but they did not have it.
The anniversary, this year, was peaceful. I am thankful, to Shari, for meeting me in Seattle. It was everything it was supposed to be.

No comments: