Monday, March 29, 2010

Dinner at Fruition, followed by wine at Table 6....

Sometimes, websites are inaccurate.
Sara Jo and I wanted to go to Table 6, last night, for dinner. I contacted Erik since he is an avid fan of that restaurant. Our beer is on tap at the restaurant and I knew that Erik dined there frequently. He texted me later, saying--Table 6 is awesome.
Ironically, I decided to check out the restaurant, on-line, after I was unable to talk to Erik. I noticed that although they were open for Sunday brunch, Sunday dinner was no longer an option for us. It was listed as closed on Sunday.
I mentioned that to Erik.
Immediately, he responded with--Table 6 is open 7 nights a week.
Since it is near my house, Sara Jo and I decided to walk by it and determine if we wanted to dine there or Fruition. At this point, I knew that I preferred Fruition, but figured, why not at least see if it is open and consider dining there.
We walked down to Table 6 and realized that Erik was right. They were open for supper. We looked at the menu, but I wasn't too intrigued by their offerings. Like I said, I had already committed to Fruition.
We enter Fruition and of course, they are full. I love Fruition and always manage to snag a table, without the reservation, but there is no bar area to sit or dine at while waiting for a table. Fruition is a small, intimate restaurant. That is the only drawback to dining there. I wish they had a bar to utilize. They do not have any extra space. But, nevertheless, the food is stellar.
The hostess seated us and said--I know you have dined with us, before, but is this your first visit, was directed to Sara. I asked her how she knew I had dined there before and she said--I recognize you.
Probably. I never have reservations when I eat there. I think that trend will continue unless it is restaurant week.
Anyways, our waiter was prompt and knowledgeable. We shared the beet salad, seared tuna and seabass. The starters were fantastic. The beet salad had marcona almonds and was fantastic. The seared tuna was scrumptious.
I enjoyed the seabass. I did. The appetizers were better, though. We almost tried the monkfish. It is wrapped in proscuitto--I might return for that at a later date. I asked our server which dish he preferred and he explained what monkfish was. When he walked away, I was annoyed since I know what monkfish is. I wanted to know which dish he felt was better. Sara wanted the seabass and so we went that direction.
After dinner, we had coffee and bread pudding. Sara Jo had rented Up in the Air and so our plan was to return to our house and watch that with more wine. I had stocked up earlier in the day. I continue to build a collection and then devastate it with friends. One day, I will utilize my wine rack.
We walked by Table 6. I looked in and there was Erik. We saunter in and share a glass of wine with him and the owner. I had met Aaron, on a few occasions, but believe he will remember me this time. He suggested restaurants in NYC and we talked about marathons. He just completed the Napa Marathon which was a few weeks ago.
Anyways, it was funny to run into Erik at Table 6. He told me that he and Aaron realized that yes, the website was misinforming people about their Sunday hours. Aaron corrected the website.
I felt weird not dining there, since I had asked Erik about it and then we ran into him. However, it just wasn't my night to dine at Table 6. I think I needed to be in the mood it. I had my sights set on Fruition. I have had several successful meals there and yes, last night, was another success.
We started the movie and my day caught up with me. Before it ended, I fell asleep. But my day was long and I had drank ample red wine. Darn those days off!!!

No comments: