Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patty's Day

Tonight, I met my friend, Jenn, at Elway's.
I arrived, early--typical, and waited for her. She had texted saying that she had friends that were coming.
My immediate response was--I am so much better one on one. I don't know how great this is going to be....but, then, I opted to let it be. I didn't obsess about it. I ordered my wine and waited.
She arrived.
Wearing red. I was full out green. For heaven sake, I was celebrating an Irish holiday.
She wanted to rebel.
I understood it and so it wasn't an issue.
We patiently talked waiting for her friends.
This guy shows up and he is bald, fit, loud. His laugh reminded me of Life of Pi---the hyena or jackal. He was boisterous! I was uncomfortable to listen to their "stories"----many stories. I listened in and continued to drink my Rapture.
Eventually, his chick shows up. Decandent, black dress, envoloped in perfume. Conversation with us was over. Enamored or eclipsed by her scent. No, I do not remember her name. Irony?
We ordered food.
We people watched.
A gorgeous man sauntered in--goatee, fit, dark. I saw him and was intrigued.
Later, Jenn caught me staring and said--let's send him shots....I knew, this isn't my thing and was not interested.
She insisted.
10 minutes later and we are doing an orange julius shot with a random guy. First, he is friendly, happy; then, he is like....well, my girlfriend flies in tomorrow night...
Granted, I did quiz him about basketball since he said he worked for ESPN. He had no clear choice for the tournament or even like for basketball.
I don't know.
He invited us over to have a drink with him and his buddies.
We declined.
I left.
I knew that I was driving. I knew that buying some random guy wasn't my thing either. I did try to lead with that. She didn't listen.
Overall, St. Patty's Day was a success. Coffee, work, a minor run and wine at Elway's. I have a great life.
I hope you enjoyed yours, too.
On a side note...I booked my trip to NYC...so excited.
I looked at the dates and realized that my 1/2 marathon was a month away. I need to quit slacking and start running. Tomorrow is a new day..

No comments: