Thursday, March 18, 2010

Correspondence via mail....

Every day, I look forward to picking up my mail. Rarely, these days, do I receive letters, but boy do I love them.
I enjoy writing them, too. Occasionally, I will sit down and write 4-6 to people that I am unable to see on a regular basis. Lately, I have been writing a friend of Shari's that has prostate cancer and 5 months to live. I send money, a note and hope that they enjoy their last moments, memories and together time. Shari contacted me and 49 other people and labeled it, Campaign for Hope. I loved it. And, I support it. I believe that everyone should live in the present moment. You never how your life can change in an instant.
That reminds me, I need to send my letter tomorrow. I never say how I know about them or Shari. I just write about my life and travels. I did mention Brian. I figure if they are curious about me, they will connect the dots because of Shari.
Today, was an exceptional day. March Madness. Villanova should have lost. KU plays at 7:30. Mid-afternoon nap, followed by, a lovely letter from one of my girlfriends from middle school.
It was an honest to god letter. Not an invitation to some random event that I am unable to go to, but a heart felt letter. Thank you, Jennifer, you made my day. I will be responding soon too. I am sure that I can conjure up something to talk about regarding New York. Actually, I am certain I can talk food in a letter.
My reader said that I have a story in my head and that I should turn up the volume on it. I should release it in a constructive way; hence, the blog. Funny, I feel that I still censor myself so much that it comes across as constricted or mundane, even. I feel that it is bubbling, though. I am almost there.
I did unwrap some of the bubble wrap that has surrounded me the last 4 years. I am focusing on being kind to myself and opening up possibility in my life for a relationship. I have had timing issues in the past few months that cannot be avoided. Priorities are priorities--distance, children or lack of, finances, and my insisting on being me. I can be pretty selfish. I think I was told that it was always either my way or the highway. That sums it up, fairly. It is difficult to let go of some of that control or protection around my heart. I am a work in progres.
But, back to the afternoon's success. The letter was a lovely surprise. It made me smile and think fondly of my childhood. Plus, I spent Jennifer's 30th birthday with her, in Denver. I treated her to Solera--a must do in Denver, and the Falling Rock.
I am off to work. I must finance my trip to NYC....

No comments: