Thursday, March 25, 2010

New kicks

New kicks=SUCCESS
Gotta love Saucony's...or, for me, I absolutely love, love, love my Saucony's.
I drove to Runner's Roost, was immediately assisted with customer service and walked out 8 minutes later. My new Kicks are yellow. I love them.
I walked to Cherry Creek to test them out. I know. I broke a cardinal rule. Running shoes should only be utilized for running. But, in this case, I figure, the 1/2 Marathon that I am running is on April 18th. I need to bulk up my mileage prior to the race.
I learned that the hard way with the Marathon. I bought my previous pair of Saucony's a few weeks before my longest run ever. My new shoes were blue and beautiful. I thought I knew what I was doing, but in hindsight, I made a rookie mistake.
I went to D.C., ate a bunch of crap--rich food, wine, repeat--returned to Denver and ran 21 miles on Saturday the 26th. That day was, by far, my best run. I loved running that day. I had no ipod, no running partner, no inspiration other than the fact that I was enjoying myself. I wasn't worried about my feet or the lack of porta potties. I was running. I had a tendon issue prior to that run, but for whatever reason, that day was brilliant.
I had bloody mary's with the Goddess at Goosetown after the run. She brought the cupcakes since my birthday was the following day. I went to a Rockies game, that night. I walked downtown. I wanted to increase my overall mileage for the day. My legs hurt, but I overlooked it.
The following day, my foot ached. I could barely walk. I felt ridiculous. I knew it was the shoes. My feet were accustomed to the older shoes. They were comfortable, worn in and mine. The new shoes were too structured.
I decided that I needed to wear them in before another race. Hence, walking in the Saucony's today. It wasn't far and I chose to do it.
Later, I went running with the Goddess. It was amazing to go for a run, at dusk. I felt liberated. I embrace the aches/pains associated with running since there is such a rush to be doing it. We ran by my old house and it felt good to know that that whole situation was over and done with. I no longer had to worry about the Slumlord or the money that I was owed.
We are running on Sunday morning. It is another prep run prior to the 1/2 marathon. The Goddess's sister is also working with Team in Training to run a 1/2 Marathon. Her race is a week or two after our 1/2 in Ft. Collins. Her sister took on too much--I believe. She is preparing for her wedding, finishing student teaching and training for a 1/2 marathon. Something had to give and it's the running. Her heart isn't in it. I understand it but wish she would have backed out of this commitment since it is time consuming. It requires complete commitment financially as well as physically. It is not something to go into half-assed. The Goddess mentioned how different our training regimes were--between her sister and me. I signed up for Team in Training for a 1/2 Marathon, but decided to go for the full marathon. Her sister is trying to opt out of the half. But, I have fewer pressing issues to contend with.
I keep considering a day of the week dedicated to free unconscious, uncensored thoughts. I follow several blogs that have a grateful Thursday post. I figure, why not, have my own uncensored version of my life? I have a lot to lament or be grateful for. It is a work in progress.
Until next time....

No comments: