Friday, March 13, 2009

American Beauty...

I found my DVD of American Beauty. I have been wanting to watch this for awhile now. I had a recent conversation with a friend about how much I love this movie. I don't think he likes it as much as I do, but I think he appreciates the cinematography.
I loved it so much that I saw it 5 times at the movie theatre. The first time I went was on my birthday in 99. I had just moved to Tempe and didn't really know many people. I was fascinated by this movie and so two of my co-workers from Steamer's went with me. I enjoyed it and drove home on Scottsdale Road wishing that the football stadium was elsewhere. The Cardinals had a game and I was stuck in traffic. Desperate for a break, I searched for a bar to go to. Unfortunately, on that stretch of Scottsdale Road, there were only strip clubs. Not an option for me.
I went with my friend, Brandon, and cried. I noticed things that I had missed the first time. I went with my friends, Vegas and Pete. They enjoyed it, but not like me. I went with Ken, too, I think and eventually, on Michaela's visit to Phoenix, we went to see it, too. Funny, Michaela is in Phoenix right now at Spring Training. I think it is ironic, seeing that she isn't much of a sports fan or of the city of Phoenix. She didn't like it too much when I lived there. Perhaps, I showed her too much of the local color.
I bought the DVD for Brian in 2005. I bought Fight Club, Reservoir Dogs, Mystic River and Suicide Kings, too. I was never much for Christmas, but Brian loved it. I prefer my birthday and lavish people on theirs. I bought the movies that I knew I wanted! Nice, I know, but now I have them and I will always appreciate that memory.
Tonight is a chill night. I am organizing photos, letters and my room. I clutter everything until I have to make a new pile. It is time to tackle my mess. Until later, I will be cleaning and enjoying the rest of this flick.

No comments: