Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March 11th, 2009

I returned to the States last year on March 11th. I left Belize City and arrived in Houston at 11 am. I remember feeling excitement, peace and a touch of anxiety.
I had been gone for 5 months and it seemed unreal to be reentering the U.S.
The lines weren't too long and they were thorough in customs, but I am a citizen and so I didn't experience grief about my trip or why I was entering in Houston.
I remember phoning my friends from a pay phone. I still remember how excited I was to hear Jan's voice. I had a 4 hour layover and then I would arrive in Phoenix. I knew that we would go to Los Dos Molinos and I couldn't wait to eat mexican. I missed it. I dreamed about guacamole and salsa.
I watched Who Wants to be a Millionaire in some random bar in the airport. I chatted up a cop who taught leadership seminars while we drank beer. I felt out of place and calm.
We did make it to Los Dos Molinos and 4 Peaks, too. I spent a week with Jan and Tom, encroaching on their life. Tax season is the worst time to visit Jan. I saw friends and got my affairs in order. I drove to Santa Fe, and spent 3 days with Melody and Clayton. I was trying to extend my trip. I wasn't ready to return to Denver.
A year later...I still have the travel bug (of course), I am relatively calm, happy and transitioning in my life. I had no idea what I would be doing when I returned. I wanted to keep going, but knew that I would benefit from being here. I have.
I have continued to travel and see friends and family.
I have regressed, somewhat, but dream of transition and change. Today, I hope to toast my trip, remember and believe in another adventure. Enjoy your day and toast life!

No comments: