Thursday, March 19, 2009

taking things for granted

I know that death made me honest.
I am not afraid to say what I mean or truly think about what I am saying if I mean it. Life is short and you never know what is going to happen.
Last week, one of my co-workers was in Boston, visiting his friends and family. While back there, he reconnected with a buddy and had made plans to see this guy again. He got the call that his friend died in a freak work-related accident. I felt bad for them and it reminded me of how fortunate I was to always tell Brian I loved him every day. There is no doubt in my mind that he knew how much he meant to me when he passed. We always waited up for each other and saw each other out in the mornings. I am so thankful for that ritual.
Last weekend, there was another loss in the Thompson family. Tom's stepson, Aaron, lived in Hawaii and was surfing. There was an accident and again, I am reminded of how precious moments are and saying what you mean. My heart goes out to them in this time of loss, reflection and dealing with the aftermath of life's curveballs.
Shari called me to tell me what had happened. Before she did, she inquired about my mini trip to visit friends. She was supportive of my decision to travel and then she told me about Aaron. I thought of how considerate she was being since she of course made sure that I was well before including me in the heart ache. She e-mailed me today to apologize for bringing me down. She didn't. All I could see was how considerate she was being on my feelings instead of immediately telling me of their loss.
Life is short. Things happen that cannot be controlled or explained. Be happy, be honest and tell the people you love that you do. Regret is a terrible thing to have due to fear.

No comments: