Friday, March 27, 2009

March Madness

I have lived in Denver since 2001. I remember my first winter and thinking, why did I move here? But, then there was the sun and how many days of sunshine that actually happen in Denver. I could overlook snow, for the most part.
March 2003 sucked. I was working for Whirled Peas and we were headed to Vail for the Ski Classic. I drove to my aunt's house in Wheat Ridge and waited for Brian to pick me up. Bryn kept saying--don't go, you aren't going to make it. Brias was determined to get to Vail. So, we met up with Jennifer and Big Mike at the Morrison exit. We were planning on driving Brian's volvo sedan up and Mike was driving a box truck, filled with food.
Brian hit a bump in the parking lot and his tire chains got stuck in the brake line. We reloaded Jennifer's volvo wagon and headed west. Brian was driving and intent on getting to Vail. We made it to Georgetown and they turned us around. They advised us to return to Idaho Springs since there was Red Cross Shelters set up.
Brian believed we would be able to wait it out and that 1-70 would reopen. So, we pulled into a truck stop at Dumont, spent the night in the car and 2 days later, we were able to get back on 1-70. It was awful. The entire state was shut down. We hung out with truckers and watched the U.S. go to war. Everything was surreal.
Denver in March always brings snow. I shouldn't be surprised, instead I should embrace it.
Today, the sun is shining and life is returning to normal.
Missouri won last night and so I am still in the tournament and heading to the finals....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hah, the jack-offs, oops the Jayhawks went down HARD. Then Missouri, then Okiehoma. Big 12 sux...
Oh...and Michaela is still a puta...