Friday, March 6, 2009

importance of stretching your hips...

I have been attending yoga, fairly regularly since 2009 began. I think it started with my month of sobriety. I needed to fill my time with more than movies and coffee.
I signed up for a membership and forced myself to go more than once/twice a week since if I go 5 times, it's about $5 a class. I can afford that. What I cannot afford is $30 a class. I am motivated to say the least!
There are postures that I abhor. For instance, the camel. I really despise it and know that although it is an excellent heart opener, I do not enjoy it. I dread it. Most times, they skip it and focus on the bridge instead. I am not a fan of this posture, either, but have found that I can substitute the wheel and all is good.
So, recently, they have been talking about the importance of your hips. I have realized how tight mine are and always appreciate when we spend more time in class opening them up before beginning the flow. I benefit when they spend more time stetching them.
Yesterday, Miranda's class, kicked my ass. Eventually, we worked into a half moon and when I stood up, I was overwhelmed by a surge of energy and emotion. They say that everyone holds a lot of emotional baggage in the hips and the heart. I just had never experienced that feeling before. I thought I might fall over! I didn't.
Today, I still feel fantastic. I missed her class which sucks, but I will try to attend a beginner class to work on my postures.
I am enjoying the sun still...

No comments: