Friday, April 17, 2009

Different meanings for different people

A few days ago, one of my co-workers asked me if I had seen Slumdog Millionaire. I responded with an enthusiastic yes and she said, this one lady thought it was terrible and way too graphic/violent. Did you think it was violent?
I was surprised. I didn't take that image with me of that film. True, there were parts that were unsettling for me, brief parts. Keep in mind, I am squeamish and an empath. I feel so much more than is necessary when it comes to violence/pain. I remember seeing Monster, with Charlize Theron, and not thinking I could return to finish the movie once the tire iron was produced.
I digress, this woman also commented on the blow-up factor. There was one scene where fire was used to illustrate violence, but it wasn't a blow them up movie by any means. I thought it was funny how different our viewings were of such a fantastic film. I believe it deserved all of the accolades it received. The movie was thought provoking, colorful, interesting, well acted and a nice reflection of life in India. I loved it.
I remember seeing The English Patient, finally. I refused to go when all of the hoopla was going on. I didn't want to be disappointed in the film and so I went with no expectations. I loved it, all of it. It was romantic, beautiful, sexy and sad. I was enthralled by the romance between the two main characters. And, I enjoyed the comic relief of the romance between the nurse and the man who diffused bombs.
I remember hearing this woman discuss why she didn't like it. She was disgusted by the infidelity and hated the movie because of it. One aspect creaated such a strong dislike. Again, I thought how different two people can feel after seeing one movie.
When Brian died, I hated saying the word death or dying. It seemed final. I know that it was final. I knew that he couldn't reappear in my life unlike what Grey's Anatomy would like people to believe, but that is another tangent. I found myself not watching the show after it decided to go with this storyline. Actually, I was annoyed when they had the Izzie and George romance. People do not rebound that way. They do not decide that this tragic loss could be erased within a few months and now they are overwhelmed by this new love that they found with their best friend who happens to be married. It was a terrible way to move these characters along and really not true, at all, in how people deal with loss.
Anyways, I opted to use the word passed, when speaking of Brian. I couldn't say, died. I guess in my own way, I could make terms with what happened if I used the word passed, not died. I think I could believe that he was still with me if he had passed, not died.
I have a friend that lost her husband and so I sent her a card on her 6 month anniversary and she e-mailed me back and said, I prefer the term, death, not passed. Again, funny how words inspire different meanings for people. I suppose that it was makes the world go round and continue.
Enjoy your day, even if it is cold in your world as it currently is in mine...

2 comments:

scarlethue said...

I'm surprised how similar it seems we are. I consider myself an empath too and can't stand to watch violence. That said, I really enjoyed Slumdog as well and was uplifted by it in the end.

On a side note, I worked at a newspaper one summer during my college years, and I typed the obituaries. They told me to use "passed" and not "died" because it's less violent. I think "passed" has a sort of spiritual connotation, like the person has moved on to another place instead of "is dead and gone." I think I prefer passed too.

harmony said...

Yes, I felt that Slumdog was uplifting and a beautiful romantic story.
I love American Beauty, too. Do you enjoy it? I saw it 5 times at the theatre. I always introduced someone new to the film and left with a different feeling from the film.
Yes, passed is my term of preference. Thank you for sharing that side note, too.
I saw your blog and have thought of many things to comment on. I think I am fortunate to have the people in my life that I do. I have a few true friends--you know, the ones that still like you even after knowing how much of a crackhead I am. But, you change, too. It's natural and it's natural to question your identity, place in the world, etc. If we didn't we would never grow.
Thank you for sharing and for crossing my path. I am benefitting from your insight.
Be well, Scarlethue...