Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dinner at Fruition with Sara Jo

Sara Jo and I finally got together to celebrate her birthday.
I tried to meet them at Gov's Park last week, but got out of work late and figured that I had missed them.
I met her at her house and we cracked a bottle of 2003 Elyse Cabernet. It was lovely and I had picked it up on my road trip 2007. I was saving it for a special occasion and felt that Sara's 30th was ideal.
After our bottle of wine, we walked to Fruition. I hadn't been there since May and have always enjoyed my meals there. We walked in and it was packed. The hostess seated us by the window which was awesome. There was one other available table but neither of us wanted it. It was the worst table of the entire restaurant in my opinion and honestly, I was surprised that we didn't get it. Several times, we have been given a crappy table because we are women. I digress.
I ordered a bottle of Lodi Zinfandel and we told our server that we wanted to relax. I think he took it literally, because that was the worst service I had ever experienced there. He was aloof, didn't pour the wine and was absent most of the meal.
Nevertheless, we ordered the lump crab and a pear and fig salad to begin. The server that brought it to us I recognized. I have dined at Fruition with Alan Black and everyone knows him. It was funny because, at that time, he had just broken up with his girlfriend and all of her friends work at Fruition. I was the "trashy" new girlfriend or so everyone assumed. For 45 minutes I was tolerated. Finally, Alan told them that I was his friend and it was my going away dinner since I was doing an around the world trip. Everyone was much kinder after that.
So, this guy, Aaron, remembered me after I mentioned that he had waited on me before. He goes--yes, you were the girl with Alan and you were taking a trip, right? He was pleasant.
We shared the scallops and had dessert. It was a lovely evening despite the poor service. It happens and I think our server was new.
I love dining with Sara Jo except that I never want it to end. I want to keep talking, reminiscing and drinking wine. Thankfully, this morning, I did make it to 6 am yoga. I am so proud.

No comments: