Wednesday, April 15, 2009

If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going--Winston Churchill

I found this card, yesterday, at Whole Foods and it jumped out at me. I walked to the store with the intention of finding a quotable card for a friend of mine. I love written communication and I have a friend that could use a little pick me up. Initially, I thought I would find something a little more inspirational or kind, but this makes sense and it gets the point across quickly.
Right now, times are tough for a lot of people. I see it, daily, the worn faces, the sad looks, the belief that all is wrong in the world. It's funny, I walk downtown and it is a complete difference from walking to Cherry Creek.
Downtown Denver is filled with vagrants, workers, tourists and has an eclectic energy while touring it. I choose to be green in 2009 and so I spend a lot of time, walking the city. I can blend in, easily, because I act like I know where I am going at all times. Mostly, I get looked at since I am a speed walker. I would never be accused of being a Chilean--they stroll at all times. Nevertheless, walking downtown is always entertaining.
Cherry Creek is elitist and most people walking around Cherry Creek are dressed as such. Me, I don't care. I want to be comfortable and there are times when I have worn my neon green hoodie. Actually, it's Brian's hoodie and it is filthy. It has stains from his biking in it, and wine stains from my drinking red wine and spilling all over it. I keep it because it was Brian's and it makes me feel close to him.
I enjoy watching people as I walk through Cherry Creek. There is an air of superiority in Cherry Creek that is definitely not found in downtown. There are soccer moms, cougars, silver foxes, bankers and people that feel they have a purpose. It's almost like a fashion show.
Downtown is gritty, real, and has signs of positive pockets, but right now, with the economy the way it is, it is overrun with people that are down on their luck. Bus stops are full of people loitering, lingering, trolling for change. It's depressing, fascinating and genuine. It's funny what a smile will do for most people.
So, this card is appropriate--If you are Going Through Hell, Keep Going--not only to my friend, but to everyone. We all have journeys that we are on, be it negative or positive, we all must continue to learn the lesson.

No comments: