Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thinking of food and travel...

I was at Peet's Coffee Shop this morning and these two ladies began talking about restaurants. They said, Boulevard and then the Slanted Door and I knew they were talking about San Francisco. I haven't been to the Slanted Door, but have heard many wonderful things about it.
I have been to Boulevard and it was lovely. I went in October of 2006 and I remember enjoying myself.
Thinking of those women's comments about restaurants made me realize that I have been fortunate in my life. I have always enjoyed food, but once I started dating Brian, I had an entirely different preception of food. He had a fantastic palette and could recreate any meal that we had. We ate out a lot, and of course, he cooked for me often. I made salad or bread. I know, I am lame. I wish that I had paid more attention to him while he cooked for us. I would have learned so much. I am more confident in the kitchen now, though, because of him.
I think of food and feel fortunate to enjoy it so much. I spend money on food, travel and wine. I am definitely not a clothes/shoes horse. I figure that you should spend on what you enjoy and I have definitely enjoyed my fair share of fantastic restaurants.
On facebook, I compiled a top 25 list of meals. I would like to revise it and post some of it on here. I mean, really, food goes hand in hand with traveling in my book.
It will be long and I will have to break it up some. Last week, in Washington, I had two great mexican food experiences. Both places offered fresh guacamole and a wonderful tomatillo salsa. The Plaza Jalisco restaurant was family owned and they had 4 in the area. I knew that the family was from Guadalajara, Mexico, due to the name. My friend, Jean, and I lived in Guadalajara for 2 months, studying spanish. We were both familiar with their food and liked it.
I am heading to the Rockies game tonight and so the list will have to wait. I want to give it some thought and make it the best it can be. I have had some wonderful meals in the last 8 years--I know that for certain. I think my favorite all time experience was dining with Brian at Bouchon, in Las Vegas. We had 3 bottles of wine, foie gras, duck confit, frisee salad, roasted chicken and pommes frites. Afterwards, we walked to the MGM to catch La Bohemme and the following morning, I was so done with food and wine. I think I had a massive food coma. Unfortunately, our flight didn't leave until midnight and so we had ample time to curse the night before.
Until later...

No comments: