Sunday, April 26, 2009

Friends in Low Places...

When my sister, Michaela, started middle school, she met a boy named Marc. Immediately, they became friends and this continued the entire course of high school.
They were both 3 years older than me, but I grew up with Marc, too. My sister always let me tag-a-long to the tping adventures, ball games, socials, etc. I believe that I spent more time with her class than I did with my own.
All through high school, Michaela and Marc were friends. They had choir together, went to Carnegie Hall to sing for our school and the entire course of high school, were in numerous plays/musicals together.
After high school, Marc decided to go to the local university. He was a popular guy, always making people laugh and smile. When he left for college, I did not see him as often. His friendship with my sister declined and eventually, I would hear that he was doing such and such, but I rarely saw him or heard many updates from my sister.
16 years ago, today, he passed away. It was awful to hear over the school P.A. system that we had lost one of our own. Immediately, I thought of my sister and how this would affect her. She was in Texas, singing, and so she missed the service.
I missed it, too. I wanted to remember Marc, smiling, and not be sad.
I remember, at the Talent Show that year, he sang, Friends in Low Places, by Garth Brooks. I suppose that I will always associate that song with Marc.
I had forgotten the exact date of the anniversary, but I am facebook friends with his sister. (For this occasion, I am grateful to have that social network.)
I wrote to her and told her that I would be celebrating today and toasting Marc and his life. It is sad. It is tragic, but it is beautiful to remember our passed ones too.
Celebrate today, remember yesterday fondly, and look forward to the promise of tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Paulsen Family said...

Thank you, Harmony, for remembering Marc today. We all lost such a good friend with his passing.

~Kristin~

harmony said...

Yes, we did.
I kept hoping to hear Friends in Low Places, or another Garth Brooks song. Maybe today.
I toasted Marc and celebrated life by eating at Elway's and spending time with friends. Today, it is cold and all I want to do is sleep in or not confront the day. I need sunshine!
Be well--Harmony