Friday, May 29, 2009

Dining at Elway's...twice, in one day....

Yesterday was a great day.
I worked the day shift and it was lousy. I think I had 5 tables. I called Jimmy and told him I felt like having a glass of wine for lunch. We went to Elway's and enjoyed the afternoon. My friend, Wendy, was bartending and so we had a lovely conversation. I think Wendy and I are going to try to meet up for the City Park music series on Sunday nights. I have heard wonderful things about it, but never been able to go.
We shared a wedge salad--always great--and a blackened mahi sandwich. She brought the fish out and immediately, we knew it was not fresh. It had that funky, fishy smell and so lunch wasn't that great.
I returned to work and wasn't really feeling it. I mean, it was a beautiful day and I wanted to be elsewhere, preferably on a patio, with a glass of wine. I suffered through it. We were not busy and we did not need six servers to be working. I convinced my co-workers that I should be done first and so I headed back to Elway's for more.
At this point, it was 8:30 and so I drank a glass of Rapture Cabernet and we ordered soup. Jimmy had chicken corn chowder and I tried the cream of asparagus with goat cheese and walnuts. The soups were delicious. We were surrounded by cougars and entertained, briefly. I mean, I can only watch so much of this particular pick-up scene. Plus, they have a singer, nightly, and this lady is loud. Her family came to support her and so we watched another aspect of the singles scene in Elway's.
I am side friendly...I love eating as many different dishes as possible. Instead of ordering an entree, we ordered the mac and cheese and crab friend rice. We watched as fish and shrimp were both ordered around us, and commented each time that the seafood, in general, had that fishy smell. I should have known the crab fried rice would not be an exception.
It was undercooked, salty and smelled like fish. We realized that we were 0-2 on the main parts of the meal, but I love Rapture wine and I will go back and try the fish again. People have off days, you know?
Today, work is present and later, I will visit my aunt. I am hoping that she will work on my legs. Running has been great, but I am trying to be proactive with my health...a little massage never hurt anyone, right?

No comments: