Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Land of Enchantment

I understand why New Mexico is considered that. The landscape is barren, beautiful, and mystical. I drove to Santa Fe on Monday and wish I would have been able to stay longer.
I spent a few nights at a new hotel, near the plaza. I chose Hotwire as the engine to pick my hotel room. I knew that I wanted to be near the plaza, with parking and preferably--a pool. I love the Inn of the Governors, but that wasn't the place. They have a heated, fenced in pool, with parking and an awesome continental breakfast. Typically, I don't consider this a bonus of my stay. I mean, really, how many times have you settled for day-old muffins, fruit and picked over toast? At the Inn, they have fresh green chile, eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit, oatmeal, etc. I think the one item I love the most, is the green chile. That is all I would need. And, they offer free internet for guests. Their concierge is knowledgable and friendly.
I have stayed at the Hotel St. Francis numerous times, too. They have parking, a nice internet connection and a lovely bar. I wish they had a pool or a hot tub or something with water, but they don't. It is a reasonable hotel, clean and I love the robes. I am a sucker for robes and slippers at hotels. I like the location and enjoy my stays, there, normally.
This time, I stayed at Garretts Desert Inn. They offer parking--$8 per day, charge for internet-$6 for 15 minutes, and their clerks were friendly. However, this one guy had no clue about local restaurants. Finally, I asked him where he was from since I was irritated with his lack of knowledge regarding the food factor in Santa Fe. Of course, he was a native, but I think he preferred staying indoors. He seemed like he enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons, if you know what I mean. The room was clean and the shower rocked. I don't know if I would stay there again. I did enjoy the pool, but I didn't feel that safe. It is close to the Pink Adobe and a few wine bars. All in all, it was satisfactory, but I think I would have preferred the Inn of the Governors.
MOre later...I am tired.

No comments: