Monday, May 18, 2009

Fun times

Ah, Sundays.
They are truly a blessing/joy in my life. I mean, who wouldn't want to go to work on Sunday morning instead of heading to a mimosa brunch with friends? In reality, they aren't that bad and I do see most of my friends on Sundays because I am working and they are drinking.
Yesterday, I decided to work a double. Yoga started my day and it was glorious. It was the best way to begin my day. I was centered, postive and capable of working a double. I arrived at the Bull with Etoile, a sparking wine made by Chandon. I discovered it on my 30th birthday celebration in Napa. My friend, Pocketsize, loves champagne and so that was the start of our wine adventure.
Every Sunday, a few regulars and Melissa and I toast Sunday with wine and cheese. It was my turn and so I brought the Etoile. Again, this affirmed why I enjoy Sundays.
Around 4 pm, I became annoyed with some of the regulars. They can be needy and I wanted reinforcements--coffee. I called Lil Ricky and asked him if he would bring me coffee. I left a message and prayed that he would.
As five pm approached, more people arrived. More elderly people that were there specifically, to watch the ragtime jazz show. Every Sunday, a band performs from 6-9pm. For most people who frequent the Bull, it is the 3 hours to find another place to entertain themselves or take a nap. The atmosphere changes and we are overwhelmed by the elderly. It is their "social" hour. My bosses disappear on Sundays.
Last night, Lil Rick called me at 5 to tell me that he had just got my message and would be late if I wanted him to get me coffee still. Funny, how he was already late since he was scheduled at 5. I didn't make an issue of it since I wanted coffee. He arrived at 5:21.
Regardless, the band started at 6. Dean and Dale arrived at 5:45 and wanted bar seats. People accomodated them. Of course, I must tend to them, their wants and needs while addressing the other paying customers and servers. Lil Rick disappears, a lot.
The band began and we were scrambling for glasses. I borrowed from the retail room until Dave brought some over. At the break, the band wants immediate service. They must have drinks. Dean and Dale always need something and of course, the servers need glasses. We are trying to accomodate everyone when Dean wants to know why it is so cold in the restaurant. He asks me where Dave is and wants immediate solutions. He tells us that people are leaving because it is too cold. Lil Rick, annoyed, calls Dave and then tries to fix the a.c., but first tells Dean that no one is cold except for a few people that are old. No response from Dean. Classic.
The band plays on. I start to wilt--less coffee, more work, and then the band stops. I figure that I will be done at 9. NOpe, Eric wants to eat, the band needs to be paid and then 35 people show up at 9:30 for food. The servers are overwhelmed by the rush and people are rude. This one table was upset that the server wouldn't take their drink order at the same time as the food order since she was thirsty. Our kitchen closes at 9:30 on Sundays and so she was trying to be helpful so that they would have food. This customer didn't understand that and was unwilling to consider that they wouldn't have gotten food had we not made an exception.
I love the chaotic feel of restaurants. If it isn't one thing, it is another...always. I slept well and am scheduled this afternoon and evening. I need travel money and I do enjoy the insanity of restaurants and people's needs. Until later....I will have to write about my issues with food, people and personal space.

No comments: