Saturday, May 23, 2009

Running

Running, for me, has always been a chore. It isn't something that I have ever embraced. I can do it, begrudgingly, or that was the way it used to be.
Today is a new day. I woke up, met my group and ran 45 minutes. Initally, I was overwhelmed by the prospect of that amount of time. I don't think I have ever run more than 30 minutes in one setting.
I have always preferred sprinting. Training to sprint required few long distance runs. Typically, we would run a few miles and work on stamina, as opposed to endurance.
Now, I have to retrain myself on the perspective of running. I cannot sprint and use up my stamina. Instead, I must pace myself and the others around me. This morning, we began and I found myself wanting to keep up with the first group. My partner, Lindsey, and I kept a conversation going and maintained the pace of the first group. When they turned at the half way point, we opted to walk for a stretch. Lindsey completed the Fort Collins Marathon and so I know she is a capable runner. She did not make me feel inferior. Instead, she encouraged me to stop when I needed to and ran the pace that I set.
I feel fantastic and have a slight understanding of why people enjoy running. It will be a new adeventure for me and not the uphill battle that I had envisioned.
At the beginning of 2009, I met with a friend who is super organized about his life. He enjoys plotting his to-do list for the year, maps it out and follows it. He told me that he intended to run a few half-marathons and perhaps a full marathon. Leaving lunch, I considered running, too. I tried to begin a schedule, but it was cold, I was tired, I had to work, etc. I could always find excuses as to why I could not run.
A few weeks ago, I attended a Team in Training Meeting and signed up to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. My goal is $2000. I will be running the Denver 1/2 Marathon in October. I feel from this point on, I will be talking, breathing, writing, loving, hating running. You'll probably hear about it, a lot. I sent out donation letters yesterday and so if I have your address, you probably are getting one. If I don't, I will e-mail and eventually, beg on the blog.
I feel it is an excellent cause and I can give back to the community. Plus, I want to run and this will give me accountability/responsibility/consequences.
Thank you for listening, and continuing to listen as I train for this half marathon. If you have any fundraising ideas, please let me know or if you would like to make a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, on my behalf, please do. Here is my webpage: http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/denver09/hwageman. Or, send me an e-mail--harmonyw2@yahoo.com and I will send you my address and further details on how to send me a check.
I will update you on future fundraising events where I benefit and of course, the training. Fun times....Again, thank you for your support, encouragement and care.

No comments: