Saturday, May 30, 2009

Motivation for running or accountability for when I want to stop

Friday nights, now in my world, equate to an early night. The last 3 Fridays, I have seen my aunt, had pizza from Edgewater Inn and been in bed by 11 pm. Last night, I hit Bryn up for a massage. My hips have been jamming and I wanted her to work on my legs.
She is a goddess when it comes to massage. When I say massage, it isn't one of those relaxing swedish things. She works. I felt like I was being tortured for part of it, but knew that I was benefitting, tremendously. She suggested a few stretches, we ate Edgewater Inn Pizza and I returned home.
I caught the middle of the Nuggets beating and felt bad for the city of Denver. Everyone wins when their franchise team is in the playoffs. People go out to watch the game and an energy is produced. Last night, the energy was terrible since they didn't really show up for the game.
I digress. I was in bed and attempted to not sleep on my side. Since the spider bite debacle, I tend to sleep on my right side. (I couldn't sleep on my back since I couldn't put pressure on the open wound.) My aunt felt that I was creating more stress for the hip and said--if you must sleep on your side, sleep on the left side. Otherwise, sleep on your back! I woke up, several times, on my right side. I would self-correct and wake up again, on the right side.
This morning, I got out of bed and considered blowing off the training. I know if I attend the session, I will get a $75 credit to my fundraising goal--$2000. It is important for me to go--I am accountable, right?
So, I arrived. The goal today is 50 minutes of running. My running friend, Lindsay, had a prior engagment and so I decided to run with my ipod. I started out in the back of the group, but felt uncomfortable. I want to challenge myself. I knew if my pace was too slow, I would walk.
I started out following the lead group. It was composed of 4 guys and 4 women. Slowly, I made my way forward and at the half way point, I was ready to stop running, but knew that I should push on. This one lady, that I decided to follow and I met up at the Gatorade station. 1.8 miles to the finish, we ran together. I knew this since they pointed out where the stations were set up.
All in all, we ran 5 miles. It felt great and I was so happy that I found the one lady to run with. Otherwise, I definitely would have stopped. The Black Eyed Peas were becoming redundant and my mind was screaming--STOP, IT IS OKAY...training just began. You have months to go.
Instead, I have now, for the first time ever, run 5 miles in one stretch. I returned to the group and this woman goes--you are a run runner, right? I said, no, but I could see it happening. I am beginning to understand why people love to run.
Side note, I am 5% to my fundraising goal...thank you to everyone for your support, financial or otherwise.
My fundraising page is http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/denver09/hwageman
I appreciate it and again, any fundraising suggestions are welcome.
Be well...

No comments: