Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of women that influence my life--my mom for helping me find my voice, my perspective, my inability to deal with manipulation or guilt. Jade--my sister, who now has 3 children and is finding the best path for her and her family. I think in the last year, she has found happiness within herself. Bryn--for always giving me her perspective, even if it doesn't align with mine. She is a positive force in my life and she is there for me when I need her. Mostly, she is Dr. Bryn since I always seek her advice when I have some unknown medical issue. Shari since she inspires me to live life, dream, remember and explore. Brian was so much like Shari. The more time I spend with her, the more I realize how much Brian was like her. She likes to go where the signs say not to, just as Brian liked to cross customs with items that were prohibited. I don't lie well, and so he wouldn't tell me since my face would illustrate attention to us. Dori, my stepmom, who makes my dad extremely happy and keeps him healthy. I worry sometimes, that he doesn't exercise enough, but I know that Dori keeps him on the straight and narrow. Carol, my old boss in high school, who always supported me and my dreams. She knew that I wouldn't stay in Kansas and didn't make me feel bad for wanting to travel the world. I hope to see her next month and catch up. Carol has always been influential in my life.
I am sure that there are more mothers that I should thank. I also would like to thank those women for retaining their own identities. As I get older, I realize how difficult it would be to be me, if I had children. I still make myself a priority, as do these women, and I applaud them for it. I think I am on this tangent from all of the Oprah books where the women are trying to find themselves through loss, separation or abuse.
Nevertheless, Happy Mother's Day and enjoy! I am off to work.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Thank you for your lovely comments and helping us remember that we can learn so much from the women in our lives. I have been feeling a bit fuzzy or foggy, I think it's a coping mechanism that keeps me from feeling too much pain. I am trying to get focused again.
I thought a lot about my mom the past couple weeks. I think that Brian and I got our sense of adventure from mom. She never let obstacles get in her way. She found the best or made the best of every situation. She was fun and I miss her. I bet mom and Brian are having a lot of adventures together and when they take a few moments to rest they are probable playing cards. Mom started gambling with Brian when he was very young. They would drive 30 mile to get their powerball numbers. It's nice to remember these fond memories and smile.
I looked back at your older blogs and was shocked to see the year 2007. You started this blog almost 2 years ago. Amazing.
I love you, keep exploring and living.
Shari

harmony said...

thank you.
I tried to call you over the weekend, but missed you.
I found some great new restaurants to check out in Santa Fe for our next adventure. I think you would love Mauka. The chef, Joel, isn't classically trained and Melody and I were able to watch him prepare the dishes and befriend him. You know how I enjoy chatting up chefs!
Plus, the massage I got from Melody was amazing and much needed. I am already planning my next trip down there just to receive a massage.
Be well and call me when you have time.
Love you--Harmony