Wednesday, January 2, 2008

ailments of the new year...

That bite is frustrating me. It feels like I now have a bump on that particular area. I have salved it with vitamin E and I am hoping to consider some other homeopathic remedies. Bryn--any suggestions? Bryn, my aunt, is the person I look to when I have medical questions. She supplies answers and hasn't been wrong yet.
I checked online since I am at the library again without access to e-mail and it suggested toothpaste, garlic, cornstarch/water paste and tea tree oil. I wondered if anyone else could suggest a remedy for either a huge mosquito bite or possibly a spider bite. The area is red and big and itches somewhat. Anything would be helpful. I am not ready to break down and visit a doctor just yet. I am a firm believer in healing yourself with alternative medicine. No, I do not embrace scientology or am I a disciple or follower of Tom Cruise. I did enjoy the movie, Lions for Lambs, and he acted like himself based on his interview with Matt Lauer a few years ago. I liked the idea of the film and don't remember it being hyped much in the States.
In other areas....I got a hold of a few people yesterday and my car is doing just fine in Phoenix. I feel better with that knowledge and no, Michaela did not answer her phone.
I was able to relocate to a cleaner hostel and it feels heavenly. I walked around Perth and considered staying at a YHA hostel, but it was next to the train station and I couldn't bear the noise. Also, it was the same price that was being offered by this clean hostel that has been raved about--the Emperor's Crown. I walked in to the hostel and knew that I had to stay there. I had looked at another hostel in Perth and although it was cheap, I knew that it was exactly like the hostel that I was trying to get away from. The kitchen was dirty and overrun with asians. I know that it sounds bad, but now that I have traveled a few months, I have noticed a few things. First off, asians do not travel solo. They group together thereby taking over a kitchen hostel. It is frustrating to try to prepare meals when there isn't space or proper equipment. I have opted many times to just go out for meals so that I do not get in the way of their cooking. Also, the last few places that I have stayed have not been clean. I watch people clean their dishes and they are either doing it with just water or with cold water and soap. It seems like a hassle to prepare a meal in this situation. It is worth it to me to pay extra to have a clean hostel/kitchen.
In more positve news...I checked out King's Park which is awesome with a botannical gardens also available in the park. It's huge and beautiful. I am staying near the art museum of Western Australia and many eateries. I can walk virtually everywhere from where I am staying and yes, it is a clean hostel. Actually, the same people also own the Surf Point Resort in Margaret River where I stayed for xmas and i loved it there. Clean backpackers, big kitchen and a nice manager.
I can't e-mail since I haven't figured out a creative way yet to do it illegally. I am working on it, but the library for researching is a viable option. Until tomorrow, be safe and good. Enjoy making your resolutions...

3 comments:

Shari said...

Good Day,

I'm back. Tom and I left Hammond on December 22 and didn't return until 10:00 pm on the 1st. It was a lovely 10 days away from home. I missed not hearing your voice and not being able to read your blog. I spent the morning catching up with your life. I get the feeling that your spirit is lifting as you travel about.

We went on a New Year's Day snowmobile ride. I thought about you on the opposite hemisphere of me. As I sped through the snow covered trails with all the evergreens drooping with bright new snow and the sun sparkling, I thought of you walking on the southern hemisphere with the same sun heating your sandy beach. With that thought I knew the world truly is not so large. I hoped you knew that I was think about you.

Instead of making this one so long I will write more later. As usual, I am running late and must open today. I really don't know why I haven't gotten fired yet?

Take care and I will add more of our adventures next time.

Love, Shari

bryn said...

Hey Harm,
So sorry about your bite! Where did you say it was? :) Salt soaks would be real good. If you can't soak, then soak a cloth in hot salt water and compress it on the bite. A mud pack would be good too. Both of these will help pull the poison out, and you need to sooth it with something like lavendar (or benedryl!) for the itch. Good mud is soothing too. Tea Tree will help clean it and dry it up. If you have it, you can put it in the salt water or mud.
It was so great to talk to you on New Years Eve! Totally made my night! I can't believe you let me go on and on about the "mail". Shows how out of touch I am with the other, literally.
Keep writing and email when you can.
Love you!

harmony said...

Hello girls. Thank you for the advice regarding my bite. I finally broke down and went to a vitamin store yesterday and was talked into buying papaw salve. It is papaya and the guy said that it would help bring the irritation down from me constantly touching the wound. Nice, huh. Let's just say that I don't sit down much anymore...I will try the salt rub this afternoon. Two of the girls in my hostel live there and are at work--thank god. One came in last night and turned the light on and then left the room. I got out of the top bunk and turned off the light. 12 minutes later she returned and turned on a different light. I wanted to say--are you retarded? I am trying to sleep and you aren't even in the room. Then her and the other girl start talking about if your libido picks up in your 30's. I wanted to scream--girls, I am sorry that you aren't satisfied...choose a different partner!!! Oh, and go to SLEEP...I woke up at 5 am to do yoga and i know that I woke them up. It was great, though, since this hostel is clean and they had space so that I could do it inside and not have to find a park. I am now in a concrete haven.
Shari--I missed talking to you but will try to call you this weekend. I am 14 hours ahead of you and I think mornings are better or early evenings. I will figure it out. Enjoy the job...how is NIA and the candles going? I am very excited to sample your candles and see you in Costa Rica. I haven't done much researching since I am computer limited, but should we get a car? If we do, you are going to have to drive since I am a horrible manual driver. Ask Bryn or Michaela or Jade--i suppose.
Talk to you soon. Yes, I can e-mail today since I found the appropriate library!!!